Jan 9, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Are you ready for Rivalry Week?
That’s the new wrinkle on this year’s Major League Soccer schedule (just announced by the league office). During the third week of the season, eight of the nine scheduled matches will be waged between regional rivals, including …
- New York vs. D.C. United,**
- Montreal vs. Toronto,
- Seattle vs. Portland,*
- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado,
- FC Dallas vs. Houston, and
- LA Galaxy vs. Chivas USA.
* – to be aired on NBCSN; ** – to be aired on NBC
I love the idea, even if I have little idea if it will work. Rivalry games like the northwest’s Cascadia Cup are starting to draw significant attention, so why not build on (and promote) them? Have a whole week devoted to them early in the season, hopefully giving viewers and ticket buyers a reason to get hooked early?
There’s no downside to this. Even if it doesn’t work, it’s another idea tried and checked off the list.
It’s something that works for college football. Even the NFL is starting to strategically place some of their rivalry games (this season putting division battles on the last day of the season). It’s worth a shot in MLS.
Other schedule features highlighted by MLS:
- “More than 90 percent of this year’s regular season games are on weekends or holidays”
- “none will overlap directly with FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches”
- “During the summer months, most games will kick off no earlier than 4 p.m. local time”
- “All 323 matches will be televised live – 87 via national network partners ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, NBC, NBC Sports Network, Univision and UniMás in the United States. “
- “in Canada, at least 30 games featuring Canadian clubs will air on TSN/TSN2 in English and RDS/RDS2 in French”
Later in the day, we’ll try to get you more information on the nationally televised games in the States. For now, here’s the full schedule.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
FC Dallas took the lead into halftime, but a second half red card to Blas Perez let Colorado sneak back for a point.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Tony Pulis is known for turning around struggling clubs, but the West Brom manager says he is more than just a last resort.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
David Accam’s first MLS goal was enough for Chicago to down a NYCFC side that played more than 60 minutes a man down.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?
Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.
UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus
Apr 24, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
Former Barca boss Guardiola is heading back to the Nou Camp for the UCL semis.
Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0