Jan 10, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
I know it must be difficult for MLS clubs to “sell” the concept of center backs as Designated Players.
But I say, “So what?” Because selling “Wins” ain’t so tough, is it?
More teams should aim a few more DP dollars on the defensive side. You know what they say about defense, where championships are won and lost.
It’s finally moving a teeny bit in that direction, but almost every DP is still an attacker (a striker, a dynamic winger, a playmaker, a two-way man that leans toward offense, etc.)
But show me an MLS Cup winner, and I’ll show you a team with a dandy “D.” For instance, center back Omar Gonzalez was the most important man on the field as the Galaxy defended its MLS crown last month.
Jeff Larentowicz and Pablo Mastroeni screened Colorado’s back line brilliantly en route to MLS Cup 2010. How about that RSL center back combo Jamison Olave and Nat Borchers back in 2009; pretty tough to get around, eh?
In 2008, Columbus Crew center back Chad Marshall was still at the top of his game. The Dynamo championship teams of 2006 and 2007 were built around two essential elements: “De-Ro” and “De-Fense.”
So, you get the message. Yes, these champions had some wonderful attackers (Landon Donovan, David Beckham, Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Dwayne De Rosario, for instance), but the defenses behind those fine fellows were all of the hale and hearty variety.
Which is why a story like this excites me: It’s the next bit of speculation about whether Irish international Richard Dunne might find his way to MLS.
The Independent wonders whether Dunne can get healthy enough to find his way out of Aston Villa and into a Galaxy or Red Bulls shirt? In New York, he would be an upgrade over Markus Holgersson. And what a combo the new men in charge would create at Red Bull Arena if Dunne and Jamison Olave could make their way to reliable health.
Speaking of commanding combos: what about Dunne and Gonzalez in Los Angeles? Clearly, there are lots of moving parts there. The Galaxy has one DP slot at the moment (Beckham’s), and Dunne may not fit AEG’s wow-wow requirement for filling that one. But, what if Landon Donovan extends his sabbatical? Hmmm.
And then there’s Gonzalez himself, who has a year remaining on his MLS deal. He may well require DP money to re-up. Or, could it eventually be that Dunne or someone like him is required as the emerging U.S. international takes his talents overseas?
See, lots of moving parts. But it makes for great conversation.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Thursday’s United States women’s national team match falls smack in the middle of the inaugural National Women’s Soccer League season. It’s a friendly. It’s against the same team, Korea Republic, that the United States just handily defeated 4-1 on Saturday. But its relevance is critical, particularly to Abby Wambach – and for…
Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
Among the many assets in Jurgen Klinsmann’s portfolio, few are trending down.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Confederations Cup completely worth it when it provides matches like these.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public