Video: Wonder goal from kids in their wonder years

Jan 10, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT

The people we will thank, in no certain order, for pointing us to this one:

• NBC teammate Arlo White.
  • The clevers at MLSSoccer.com, who apparently tipped Arlo to the goal.
  • The coach of this bunch of talented children in Greece, who clearly has encouraged the lads to be calm on the ball, even in the back … and not just to hoof it forward willy-nilly.

It’s a longer version, in my mind, of the famous Dutch goal in the 1974 World Cup final, where they scored before Germany every touched the ball.*

*And that is connection enough to satisfy the “pro” element of ProSoccerTalk.

Enjoy:

1. cdhoeger - Jan 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM

So, this video is just a bunch of kids passing around in their own half after a kickoff…nice bit of skill from the keeper to not get his pocket picked and some nice one-touch soccer, but not a single touch in the attacking half, much less a “wonder goal”…

• Steve Davis - Jan 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Apologies. I put up the wrong link. It’s update now … this video actually shows the finish of the passing sequence, with touches in the attacking third (including taking on a defender, a wonderful pass and the solid finish).

• cdhoeger - Jan 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks Steve, I wasn’t trying to be snarky or anything, hope it didn’t come across that way. I figured that it was just the wrong video. Reading it again I could have been much more tactful in the way I said it, sorry about that. Thanks for all the wonderful content.

• Steve Davis - Jan 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

No worries… It WAS rather silly, putting up the a “goal” video without actually showing the, you know, goal! When I created the link, I just grabbed the wrong one.

2. whordy - Jan 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

*joke about how they play better that the usa mens nt*

• crnelson10 - Jan 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I’m not going to make a joke about the USMNT, but after seeing that pitch- next time we don’t Barcelona the hell out of Antigua and Barbuda in the Caribbean, I may have to revisit this post.

3. wesbadia - Jan 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

The only ones that will truly and fully appreciate this video are those that have coached U12 or U10 teams and know how insanely hard it is to teach proper passing and trapping techniques. Most kids are there because their parents make them or they like to play “sports”, ie, not soccer. The fact that these kids can exhibit not only the basic passing/trapping skills, but ball control, on/off-ball movement, individual effort, and the soccer intellect that only years of playing at the highest levels can give you speaks volumes about how good they really are. Props to not only the coach who made this possible, but to the kids that are actually invested in the sport like this.

And that’s what separates “us” from “them” in other areas of the world…

PST Extra: Race for the PL title