Jan 10, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Steve has the news that Stuart Holden could return to the Bolton first team line up in the next week, which would be excellent for the midfielder who’s been out for more than 18 months.
And you know what? After watching the clip below, I’m inclined to think he might be ready as well. Obviously, it’s hard — if not impossible — to tell anything from a few bits of warm up and game action, but you have to say he looks smooth and fit.
Coming back from a serious injury is as much mental as it is physical. A player has to learn to trust his legs again, especially the joints and tendons that failed before. Holden, it would seem, is at that point of believing he can get back to action. Only he and the training staff will know the physical reaction to his 65 minutes, but early signs look good as well.
All signs point toward seeing Holden on a Championship field near you sooner rather than later. And that’s good news. It’s been far too long.
(Another thing that struck me: There’s so much talk in these games. Are MLS games that loud? Maybe you can’t hear normally because of the fan noise, but I was impressed with the level of chatter.)
Dec 17, 2013, 11:02 PM EST
Rounding up the smaller bits of news and other happenings around Major League Soccer:
Dec 17, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
Today’s news moves us one painful step closer to an awful, perhaps inevitable, destination:
Dec 17, 2013, 9:10 PM EST
And what a smart move that is from the current LA Galaxy assistant:
Dec 17, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
At this point, the big surprise would be if Clint Dempsey did not go on loan in January.
Dec 17, 2013, 7:43 PM EST
There are retreads, and then there are retreads who scored over 100 goals for your club. Can Hoddle be Spurs’ Dalglish?
Dec 17, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
Hard to tell if there’s any real progress here, but there was a bit of news today:
Dec 17, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
Fabio Borini eliminates his former club, while an Edin Dzeko double lifts the Citizens at Leicester.
Dec 17, 2013, 5:52 PM EST
In an interview with KingFut.com, the former U.S. national team manager demonstrates why he remains one of the true gentlemen of the U.S. Soccer community:
Dec 17, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
The big 4-0 comes just 10 days after his club raised the MLS Cup trophy:
Dec 17, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Although he evolved into a problem in Seattle, Eddie Johnson could be a solution for United.
Bayern Munich has easy time in 3-0 win over Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande at FIFA Club World Cup
Dec 17, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
If Bayern Munich wants to remind everyone it has the best team in the world, the Bavarian giants are certainly going about it the right way.
Dec 17, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
High, high praise from the Everton manager for his U.S. international starter in goal:
Dec 17, 2013, 3:22 PM EST
Never mind Jimmy Nielsen’s retirement; the champs appear to be set in goal once again:
Dec 17, 2013, 3:21 PM EST
A dramatic year for the U.S. international vaulted him to the top of Google’s list.
Dec 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Upon hearing of Gjoka’s legal predicament, Ronaldo penned a letter to the Miami prosecutor asking that the charges be dropped.
Dec 17, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Fortunate for the club, the scan results indicate that Deulofeu could return in time for the trip to West Brom on January 20th.
Dec 17, 2013, 12:58 PM EST
“Tim should get the job permanently and work alongside Les Ferdinand,” Harry Redknapp said.
Dec 17, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
“If we’re being honest, he’s still got a long way to go,” said Freedman.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
The charge means Wilshere will likely miss a few matches, which could include next Monday’s clash with Chelsea.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
“I’ve been in Manchester for long periods of time and I’ve never heard of Manchester City,” Tyson said.
- Wondering where this match-fixing business will land? 0
- Manchester City advance, Chelsea bounced in League Cup 0
- Eddie Johnson to D.C. is happening: What this means for Seattle, United 5
- Stuart Holden returns to Bolton but still has a long way to go 2
- Jack Wilshere retrospectively charged for flipping the bird 1
- Cardiff City Unraveling: Malky Mackay told he won’t get a penny 2
- Voting on the U.S. national team all-time Best XI (19)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (18)
- Shouldn’t Peter Vermes be in the future U.S. national team coaching discussions? (17)
- NYCFC’s new stadium could be neighbor to Yankee Stadium (12)
- Tottenham is using blood spinning treatment on its players, and nobody seems to know if it’s doping (12)
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!