Jan 11, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Major League Soccer’s annual player combine is to domestic soccer what a good foodie blog is to the general eating population.
You really, really have to be super into the subject to get something worthwhile out of it. I mean, you gotta be craving some extra layers of knowledge.
There surely are young men passing and trapping right now at the MLS combine in Fort Lauderdale who will one day shine brightly on MLS stages. But there’s a real winnowing process at work; so many of the athletes in those temporary colors of semi-randomly assembled teams will never be inside an MLS facility unless they buy a ticket.
I mean, perhaps you want to know just who was that lefty winger from the NAIA school who tore it up on the first day? Or perhaps you’re dying to know if a certain ACC striker can function effectively without the service of a certain powerhouse playmaker that has operated behind him in college?
If that’s you … here’s a good place to start.
It’s Soccer America’s list of 10 players to watch at the combine. Matches began today.
- FOLLOW LIVE — 2015 Copa America: Hosts Chile vs. Peru in semifinal no. 1 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 0
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0