Jan 11, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Major League Soccer’s annual player combine is to domestic soccer what a good foodie blog is to the general eating population.
You really, really have to be super into the subject to get something worthwhile out of it. I mean, you gotta be craving some extra layers of knowledge.
There surely are young men passing and trapping right now at the MLS combine in Fort Lauderdale who will one day shine brightly on MLS stages. But there’s a real winnowing process at work; so many of the athletes in those temporary colors of semi-randomly assembled teams will never be inside an MLS facility unless they buy a ticket.
I mean, perhaps you want to know just who was that lefty winger from the NAIA school who tore it up on the first day? Or perhaps you’re dying to know if a certain ACC striker can function effectively without the service of a certain powerhouse playmaker that has operated behind him in college?
If that’s you … here’s a good place to start.
It’s Soccer America’s list of 10 players to watch at the combine. Matches began today.
- Reports: Perez to announce firing of Carlo Ancelotti by Real Madrid 0
- Middlesbrough 0-2 Norwich City: Comfortable Canaries back in Premier League 0
- Ten biggest storylines of the Premier League season that was 0
- VIDEO: Premier League’s Top 10 goals of the season, from A(dam) to Z(amora) 0
- Premier League final day roundup: 2014-15 season finishes with a flourish 0
- West Ham announce Sam Allardyce will not return as manager 0