Jan 11, 2013, 5:35 PM EST
Major League Soccer’s annual player combine is to domestic soccer what a good foodie blog is to the general eating population.
You really, really have to be super into the subject to get something worthwhile out of it. I mean, you gotta be craving some extra layers of knowledge.
There surely are young men passing and trapping right now at the MLS combine in Fort Lauderdale who will one day shine brightly on MLS stages. But there’s a real winnowing process at work; so many of the athletes in those temporary colors of semi-randomly assembled teams will never be inside an MLS facility unless they buy a ticket.
I mean, perhaps you want to know just who was that lefty winger from the NAIA school who tore it up on the first day? Or perhaps you’re dying to know if a certain ACC striker can function effectively without the service of a certain powerhouse playmaker that has operated behind him in college?
If that’s you … here’s a good place to start.
It’s Soccer America’s list of 10 players to watch at the combine. Matches began today.
- Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S. 7
- Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew 1
- Sheffield United 2-2 Tottenham: Eriksen sees Spurs to All-London final in absolute thriller 2
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Lots will be drawn to determine second place in Group D 0
- Queens Park Rangers’ Canadian winger Junior Hoilett on Toronto FC, relegation battles and more 0
- English FA charge Chelsea’s Diego Costa with violent conduct after stamp, may miss Man City match 1