Jan 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Ordinarily, a run-of-the-mill transfer story involving a relatively unknown defender, one Premier League mid-table side and one relegation-threatened outfit, would not be ProSoccerTalk fodder.
But pay attention to this one – because the ripple effect will carry all the way to Major League Soccer. To Toronto FC, specifically.
West Brom defender Jonas Olsson was a January transfer window target of Harry Redknapp and Queens Park Rangers. The London club, which has a mighty fight ahead to avoid a drop into England’s second tier, had reportedly offered about $8 million for the Swedish international.
Today comes news that West Brom has said “thanks, but no thanks.”
Here’s the relevant matter:
Olsson would have reinforced a defense currently guided by veteran center back Ryan Nelsen. Nelsen, 35, is ready to move on to the next part of his life. He has just been named manager at Toronto, which created the very unstable situation where a manager has been named who will not be in a position to overseen pre-season training, the upcoming draft, and quite possibly a third of TFC’s regular season matches. But, you know; details, details.
Word is out today that as Nelsen looks for the emergency exit, Redknapp and QPR are increasingly determined to keep the respected New Zealand international around.
Olsson’s arrival might have helped pry Nelsen loose, adding cover and experience and generally helping soften the January blow. Well, so much for that.
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 1
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona