Jan 13, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Let’s all be honest about Edson Buddle and his recent U.S. national team call-up: it caught us off guard – like getting hit in the head with a sandwich thrown from across the room.
Whoa! Where did that come from?
Buddle did not have a good season with the Galaxy, marginalized through some stretches and mostly ineffective when he was on the field. In 261 playoff minutes, for instance, Buddle had no goals, no assists and just two shots on goal.
So we weren’t too surprised when the veteran forward was shipped one time zone east to Colorado in one of the first MLS off-season swaps.
Given all that, who saw the call-up coming, as Buddle found his way into Jurgen Klinsmann’s January camp?
Perhaps the injuries to Alan Gordon and Chris Pontius had something to say here. But Kenny Cooper (18 goals in 2012 …) was available. Heck, C.J. Sapong and Chris Rolfe, for that matter. So, yes … color most of us surprised.
Buddle, too. Here’s what the Rapids striker told Adam Serrano as the L.A. Galaxy Insider blogger circled back to talk to the former Galaxy man:
It’s kind of random that I got the call, but that’s how it is in soccer and with the national team. I was just trying to be as professional as I can in the offseason in case I do get a call like this. Jurgen has worked with me and I’ve worked with Jurgen, and it’s always a privilege for me…I wasn’t expecting it. I had planned for my offseason with rehab and seeing where my knee was so I can get ready to go to Colorado.”
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1