Jan 13, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
When it comes to the goal scoring, U.S. international Jozy Altidore is pretty much on pace to match last year’s breakout season. The Alkmaar striker had 22 goals across all competitions for the Dutch club last year.
Just back from the Dutch season’s winter break, Altidore has 12 goals in all competitions, including 11 in Eredivisie play. So, individually things look roughly the same – which isn’t bad at all.
But it’s the team ambition that looks quite different at the moment. AZ finished a surprising fourth last year in the 18-team league, a terrific finish for one of Holland’s smaller clubs. This year, AZ is a lot closer to a nasty drop than to heroic challenge for the top; AZ sits 12th now, just three points out of the group that would find itself in a white knuckle playoff to avoid relegation into the Dutch second tier.
I talked to Altidore this morning as part of the Soccer Today show I co-host weekly. Two interesting things from the short interview as they relate to the club:
- First, Altidore told us the feel is a little different heading back into training after the winter break; everyone can already sense the weight of it, the threat the relegation hanging like that proverbial dark cloud. It’s what everyone always says about the lurking relegation monster.
- And, the U.S. striker reminded us that the Dutch table isn’t the only way into European competition. There’s also the Dutch Cup, and his team is into the quarterfinals. They play at FC Den Bosch on Jan. 29 – ironically, kicking off just a few hours before Jurgen Klinsmann’s team of mostly MLS men faces Canada in a friendly. So, the club’s spring goals will be all about avoiding a drop in league play, but gaining a European spot by bringing the “something special” in Dutch Cup matches.
As for a potential transfer, Altidore played it cool, not saying much at all. After what seemed like some initial interest, we aren’t hearing much lately about the 23-year-old forward.
(The Soccer Today podcast should be up some time Monday; I’ll post the link here when the pod goes up.)
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 0
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3