Jan 13, 2013, 8:25 PM EST
When it comes to the goal scoring, U.S. international Jozy Altidore is pretty much on pace to match last year’s breakout season. The Alkmaar striker had 22 goals across all competitions for the Dutch club last year.
Just back from the Dutch season’s winter break, Altidore has 12 goals in all competitions, including 11 in Eredivisie play. So, individually things look roughly the same – which isn’t bad at all.
But it’s the team ambition that looks quite different at the moment. AZ finished a surprising fourth last year in the 18-team league, a terrific finish for one of Holland’s smaller clubs. This year, AZ is a lot closer to a nasty drop than to heroic challenge for the top; AZ sits 12th now, just three points out of the group that would find itself in a white knuckle playoff to avoid relegation into the Dutch second tier.
I talked to Altidore this morning as part of the Soccer Today show I co-host weekly. Two interesting things from the short interview as they relate to the club:
- First, Altidore told us the feel is a little different heading back into training after the winter break; everyone can already sense the weight of it, the threat the relegation hanging like that proverbial dark cloud. It’s what everyone always says about the lurking relegation monster.
- And, the U.S. striker reminded us that the Dutch table isn’t the only way into European competition. There’s also the Dutch Cup, and his team is into the quarterfinals. They play at FC Den Bosch on Jan. 29 – ironically, kicking off just a few hours before Jurgen Klinsmann’s team of mostly MLS men faces Canada in a friendly. So, the club’s spring goals will be all about avoiding a drop in league play, but gaining a European spot by bringing the “something special” in Dutch Cup matches.
As for a potential transfer, Altidore played it cool, not saying much at all. After what seemed like some initial interest, we aren’t hearing much lately about the 23-year-old forward.
(The Soccer Today podcast should be up some time Monday; I’ll post the link here when the pod goes up.)
Mar 6, 2015, 11:16 PM EST
Parma will stay afloat in Serie A in the near future, thanks to a loan from the Italian Football Federation.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
Rodgers explains he’s going nowhere amidst links to a possible opening at Manchester City this summer.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:07 PM EST
QPR boss Chris Ramsey recognizes his team’s relegation struggle but sees no need to panic.
Mar 6, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
Kaka believes his MLS debut will be one of his “special” career-defining moments.
Mar 6, 2015, 6:10 PM EST
Jonny Evans will contest the FA charge against him for spitting at Newcastle United forward Papiss Cisse, who has already accepted a seven-game ban for the incident.
Mar 6, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
LA Galaxy fill an international roster spot with the addition of Finland’s Mika Vayrynen.
Mar 6, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
Storylines from the FA Cup, with the quarterfinals taking place over the next few days.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Preview of QPR v. Tottenham on Saturday.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:14 PM EST
Every team has one — or two, or three — guys that don’t get the credit they deserve. Who’s the MOST underrated player in MLS?
Mar 6, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Can it really be considered a “rumor” if you’re the one who said it first? Either way, no comeback for Il Fenomeno.
Mar 6, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
It wasn’t pretty until late, but three points is three points. Improvement still needed before the World Cup.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Scholes is becoming quite the fire-starter, and Ozil is his latest target.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:49 AM EST
LVG is tired of your faux-controversies, British press. So much so he’s resorted to going along with them.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:38 AM EST
A bitter blow for last year’s world’s best women’s player. An advantage to the rest of the field.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:52 AM EST
Picking which six MLS games to watch this weekend was going to be really tough, so we did the dirty work for you.
Mar 6, 2015, 8:22 AM EST
Man United haven’t won the FA Cup since 2004. Is this finally their year?
Mar 5, 2015, 11:32 PM EST
This one will put a smile on your face and a tear in your eye.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:22 PM EST
Because who doesn’t love to critique and compare every team’s new jerseys?
Mar 5, 2015, 8:53 PM EST
The dribble was a thing of beauty, but he still had to apply the finish. Not a problem for Salah.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
The season is officially on. Here’s a few reasons to get excited, in case you’re not already. (You should be.)
- MLS Week 1 preview: Sounders vs. Revs, Timbers vs. RSL headline First Kick weekend 0
- FA Cup preview: Wembley trips on the line as Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool shoot for semis 0
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 7
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9