Jan 13, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
When it comes to the goal scoring, U.S. international Jozy Altidore is pretty much on pace to match last year’s breakout season. The Alkmaar striker had 22 goals across all competitions for the Dutch club last year.
Just back from the Dutch season’s winter break, Altidore has 12 goals in all competitions, including 11 in Eredivisie play. So, individually things look roughly the same – which isn’t bad at all.
But it’s the team ambition that looks quite different at the moment. AZ finished a surprising fourth last year in the 18-team league, a terrific finish for one of Holland’s smaller clubs. This year, AZ is a lot closer to a nasty drop than to heroic challenge for the top; AZ sits 12th now, just three points out of the group that would find itself in a white knuckle playoff to avoid relegation into the Dutch second tier.
I talked to Altidore this morning as part of the Soccer Today show I co-host weekly. Two interesting things from the short interview as they relate to the club:
- First, Altidore told us the feel is a little different heading back into training after the winter break; everyone can already sense the weight of it, the threat the relegation hanging like that proverbial dark cloud. It’s what everyone always says about the lurking relegation monster.
- And, the U.S. striker reminded us that the Dutch table isn’t the only way into European competition. There’s also the Dutch Cup, and his team is into the quarterfinals. They play at FC Den Bosch on Jan. 29 – ironically, kicking off just a few hours before Jurgen Klinsmann’s team of mostly MLS men faces Canada in a friendly. So, the club’s spring goals will be all about avoiding a drop in league play, but gaining a European spot by bringing the “something special” in Dutch Cup matches.
As for a potential transfer, Altidore played it cool, not saying much at all. After what seemed like some initial interest, we aren’t hearing much lately about the 23-year-old forward.
(The Soccer Today podcast should be up some time Monday; I’ll post the link here when the pod goes up.)
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
With four teams separated by two points for the final relegation place, it’s becoming an absolute dogfight. The 2 Robbies break it down.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
When in a relegation dogfight, win any way you can. That’s the message from Nigel Pearson, and that’s what Leicester City have done.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Play poorly and win, or play well and lose? You can’t always have it both ways, which benefitted Man City on Saturday.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Sherwood’s men were certainly hard done by away to Manchester City. It’s hard not to agree with the Villa boss.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
With Watford officially promoted, who’s next? (Hint: It won’t be Boro.)
Apr 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Recaps, reaction, videos and more from all eight PL games on Saturday.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Rodgers: “It’s an area we’ll look at in the summer.”
Apr 25, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Citizens survive second half Villa comeback to move up to second, cement spot in top four.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:32 PM EDT
Three of four “bottom five” clubs who played on Saturday picked up a point, including one side scooping up a massive three points to leap off the bottom of the table.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Messi now has at least 50 goals in four seasons during his career.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Mexico national teamer Miguel Layun posted this video on Twitter, as the club learns its been promoted and the bus goes absolutely bonkers.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
Aguero? He doesn’t miss from there, and the USMNT keeper was left with his head in his hands. It’s 1-0 City at half.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Swans found goals from Nelson Olivera, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jack Cork to build a 3-1 lead before Siem de Jong netted late.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
The Hornets are back in the PL for just the third time in their history.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
Liverpool fall further behind Man City in the race for fourth place.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can the Citizens cement their top four spot? Watch live, here.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:14 PM EDT
USMNT defender/midfielder Geoff Cameron left the game in the 87th minute with an injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
QPR are four points from safety with four games to go…
Apr 25, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
Tigers give themselves breathing space from the bottom three with much-needed win.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
Nigel Pearson was fired last month, or so we were led to believe. Now his Foxes have escaped the drop zone with a dramatic win at Turf Moor.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0