Jan 14, 2013, 8:34 AM EDT
Interesting stuff from Cristiano Ronaldo today in an exclusive interview with FIFA.com.
The Real Madrid attacker doesn’t tell us whether he’s “sad” again, but he does let on that:
- He will see out his contract at Real Madrid, which runs through 2015: “I’m very clear about that. After that, well, I don’t know what’ll happen in the future.”
- The pressure at Real Madrid is greater than what he felt previously at Manchester United.
- That everyone around the Bernabeu is tightly focused on Champions League play. (Madrid’s first kick in the knockout phase, by the way, is Feb 13 in the first leg against Manchester United. What. A. Series.)
- He isn’t sure why people do not love him more.
- Every player at Madrid must decide for themselves whether to read those newspapers, to see what people might be saying about them, he says. Ronaldo does not reveal if he dwells on those articles – although he does say that he doesn’t like to “over dramatize” matters.
- He has a son now. He’s fulfilled. He likes going for walks.
- And he says people should give manager Jose Mourinho a doggone break:
People do protest and you have to respect that, though I think they should be a bit patient with him. To me it’s very clear that Mourinho always wants what’s best for the club and will fight to the death to defend it. All of us who work alongside him know that, but you’ve still got to show respect for the fans’ opinion. In my view he’s the best coach in the world, he’s got loads of experience and has won everything there is to win.”
Sep 3, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
What did we learn from the young U.S. side at Deepdale?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT
With Olympic qualifying less than a month away, final tune-ups are underway for the US U-23 squad.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann’s latest comments confirm what we’ve assumed all along: he believes he is immune to criticism.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Red Devils have ripped apart their title-winning team from 2013. Will things settle down anytime soon?
Sep 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Three options for the starting XI at RFK Stadium on Friday.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
JPW and Jenna dissect the Deadline Day dealings.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
German champs taking a stand to help the growing number of asylum seekers arriving in Munich.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Who would’ve guessed it, the Gunners are short on strikers…
Sep 3, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
After his game-winner from halfway last season, Cicerone is at it again.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s side move up, but remain out of the top 20.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Chicharito has the following message for United’s fans after five years at Old Trafford.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT
The NBC Deadline Day show is here in podcast form.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
A fraction of the transfer fee has made its way to the lower division team in France that helped mold Anthony Martial into the $55 million player he is today.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Rog and Davo break down Chelsea’s loss to Crystal Palace and Swansea’s stylish win over Manchester United. Plus, a recap of transfer deadline day.
Sep 2, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Tim Howard looked good for Everton last weekend, but the U.S. coach says it’s too close to the Mexico game to make a change.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
The former Chelsea defender is no longer listed on the team’s website and was left out of both the club’s domestic and European squads.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
The paperwork was late, and FIFA rejected the deal, but the two sides still wish for it to be completed.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
The San Siro wanted Zlatan back, but he is happy in France.
Sep 2, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Villa had a very quiet Deadline Day, but they tried to make a splash.
Sep 2, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
After the match, Noble said it was a tackle that happens “10 times a game” and that he felt it didn’t even deserve a yellow card.
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 4
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 5
- VIDEO: PST Extra analyzes how Deadline Day played out across the Premier League 0
- Arsenal’s striker fears grow: Danny Welbeck has surgery, out long-term 5
- USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings 1