Jan 14, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Major League Soccer’s draft is unlike some of the other major U.S. sports in one important way: Whereas professional football and basketball employs the draft as the leagues’ predominant player acquisition tool, it’s just among one of the tools in Major League Soccer.
The international player market and, increasingly, the mechanics of homegrown signings, help stock MLS those rosters.
But the draft does remain an important element in MLS. For instance, 6 of 11 LA Galaxy starters in December’s MLS Cup win were plucked from the draft (although not necessarily by Los Angeles, originally).
Since we’ll have some draft talk this week, it seems smart to start Monday with a quick sketch of this year event, going on Thursday in Indianapolis.
The run-up: It’s all about the combine, going on right now in Fort Lauderdale. A lot of the names about to be called Thursday are playing in a series of friendlies; most of the deciders (MLS managers, technical directors, sporting directors, GMs, etc.) are there. (Watching NFL playoff games, by the sound of it, but also monitoring the combine matches).
Sitting very, very pretty: Toronto FC has two of the first three picks. They have their own, for stinking so badly in 2012, and Portland’s from 2012 (as part of the trade that sent attacker Ryan Johnson and goalkeeper Milos Kocic to Oregon.)
Anyone else sitting pretty?: After Toronto’s first pick, the choices belong to Chivas USA, Toronto (again), New England and Vancouver. You could do a lot worse than Vancouver, in fact, with the 5th and 10th picks. The entire draft order is here.
Rounds: Just two, so 38 picks overall. Five days later, teams will conduct a supplemental draft, where the occasional gem has been dug up.
TV: Not so much. We talked about that the other day.
Mock drafts?: But of course! Early versions are split on whom TFC will choose first, some leaning toward Furman defender Walker Zimmerman, others wondering if Louisville defender / midfielder Andrew Farrell might be first up.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 0
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago