Jan 14, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
UNC midfielder Mikey Lopez says he wants to go to Chivas USA. So does Big East Player of the Year Carlos Alvarez. And that’s significant with a capital “S.”
This piece from MLSSoccer.com, where Dallas native Lopez spells out his Goat-centric ambition, makes the point that circling a particular MLS destination is noteworthy in itself.
But there’s a different point I’d like to make about players like Lopez and Alvarez going on record here.
Let’s face it, if someone says he wants to go to New York to play alongside Thierry Henry, or some impressionable type says he’s jonesing to experience the high frenzy of being a hometown hero at Seattle or Portland, that’s not going to register on our shock detectors
But speaking publicly about a burning desire to wear the red stripes of Chivas USA? Apologies to all Chivas USA supporters, and to Chivas USA blogger (at The Goat Parade) and friend of PST Alicia Rodriguez, but that makes me turn my head and go “Hmmmm.” Not in a bad way.
Chivas USA can be a place where careers go to die. That goes for players and coaches. (Just ask recently deposed manager Robin Fraser.)
If I’m an agent today and some says Chivas USA is interested in trading for one of my clients, I do everything in my power to kill that idea before it gains a speck of momentum. The organization remains too unstable, bereft of clear direction, guided by an owner who is all over the place.
So, when an intriguing young player like Lopez or Alvarez says he wants to go, he’s adding valuable red blood cells into the very life body of that organization. (Not to mention this: if Chivas was to select budding defensive midfielder Lopez (pictured) or budding playmaker Alvarez with that No. 2 overall pick, either would instantly engage the fast track to “legend” status around a club that doesn’t have much of that at present.)
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public