Jan 14, 2013, 11:04 AM EST
UNC midfielder Mikey Lopez says he wants to go to Chivas USA. So does Big East Player of the Year Carlos Alvarez. And that’s significant with a capital “S.”
This piece from MLSSoccer.com, where Dallas native Lopez spells out his Goat-centric ambition, makes the point that circling a particular MLS destination is noteworthy in itself.
But there’s a different point I’d like to make about players like Lopez and Alvarez going on record here.
Let’s face it, if someone says he wants to go to New York to play alongside Thierry Henry, or some impressionable type says he’s jonesing to experience the high frenzy of being a hometown hero at Seattle or Portland, that’s not going to register on our shock detectors
But speaking publicly about a burning desire to wear the red stripes of Chivas USA? Apologies to all Chivas USA supporters, and to Chivas USA blogger (at The Goat Parade) and friend of PST Alicia Rodriguez, but that makes me turn my head and go “Hmmmm.” Not in a bad way.
Chivas USA can be a place where careers go to die. That goes for players and coaches. (Just ask recently deposed manager Robin Fraser.)
If I’m an agent today and some says Chivas USA is interested in trading for one of my clients, I do everything in my power to kill that idea before it gains a speck of momentum. The organization remains too unstable, bereft of clear direction, guided by an owner who is all over the place.
So, when an intriguing young player like Lopez or Alvarez says he wants to go, he’s adding valuable red blood cells into the very life body of that organization. (Not to mention this: if Chivas was to select budding defensive midfielder Lopez (pictured) or budding playmaker Alvarez with that No. 2 overall pick, either would instantly engage the fast track to “legend” status around a club that doesn’t have much of that at present.)
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Whoever is next up in the Whitecaps’ managerial seat would surely love to have a 22-goal scorer to build around:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Still a highly regarded goalkeeper, Nielsen calls it quits just 48 hours after winning MLS Cup 2013:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Might the wandering Goats actually do something right?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Once again, Major League Soccer will become the globe’s first league to employ the new World Cup match ball:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Chicago’s Chris Rolfe, Houston’s Bobby Boswell, Seattle’s Steve Zakuani among the intriguing options:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Don’t miss the last save from the package, an absolute show-stopper from Aston Villa’s U.S. international Brad Guzan:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
An alternative look at all the action from Week 15 of the PL:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Who says the MLS off-season is too short?
Dec 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Round 15’s Team of the Week includes a throwback man in John Arne Riise:
Dec 9, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
FC Dallas had a busy day … but, uh, who is going to coach the team?
Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Martin Rogers of Yahoo! Sports talks about Arsenal, Manchester United and more:
Dec 9, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
One versus England potentially being arranged in Miami? And another against Canada ahead of next year’s World Cup?
Dec 9, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
Hull pick up a valuable road point as Swansea’s season of missed opportunities at home continues:
Dec 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
Major League Soccer has been steadfast on this one all along:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Can the Swans surge back into the top 10? Watch live on NBCSN:
Dec 9, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
We caught up with ‘beardless’ Howard after his impressive outing vs. Arsenal. Here’s what he had to say:
Dec 9, 2013, 1:27 PM EST
With a shortlist of over 50 names to choose from, what is your current best starting XI in world soccer?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
With Michu in-line to return, could the Swans blow the Tigers away?
Dec 9, 2013, 12:06 PM EST
Moyes takes the blame but how much longer can he take the flack for his under-performing stars?
Dec 9, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
Do the Gunners have themselves to blame? Or were the Toffees just too good?
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014