Jan 15, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
There’s one fewer mystery about the draft today.
Unless new Chivas USA manager Jose Luis Sanchez Sola has become a quick devotee of MLS Draft disinformation, he’s making no secret about which player the L.A. club will select Thursday with its No. 2 overall pick: They like UConn attacker Carlos Avalrez.
The Big East Player of the Year last fall as a senior at the University of Connecticut has done little to dent his stock during the ongoing combine in Florida. Alvarez is a playmaker who can also score. A centrally stationed figure for the Huskies, he may need to play wide in MLS, at least initially, until his soccer brain catches up with the speed of the professional game.
Alvarez is all over the highlight pack from the first game over the weekend down in Fort Lauderdale. (Thanks to MLSSoccer.com for the video.)
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 0
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0