Jan 15, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
There’s one fewer mystery about the draft today.
Unless new Chivas USA manager Jose Luis Sanchez Sola has become a quick devotee of MLS Draft disinformation, he’s making no secret about which player the L.A. club will select Thursday with its No. 2 overall pick: They like UConn attacker Carlos Avalrez.
The Big East Player of the Year last fall as a senior at the University of Connecticut has done little to dent his stock during the ongoing combine in Florida. Alvarez is a playmaker who can also score. A centrally stationed figure for the Huskies, he may need to play wide in MLS, at least initially, until his soccer brain catches up with the speed of the professional game.
Alvarez is all over the highlight pack from the first game over the weekend down in Fort Lauderdale. (Thanks to MLSSoccer.com for the video.)
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 0
- Why do Manchester City struggle so much in the Champions League? 0
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: PSG beat Barcelona, Chelsea top Sporting 2
- Manchester City 1-1 AS Roma: Italians frustrate City as European woe continues 0