Players born after launch of MLS now signing with MLS

Jan 15, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT

Michael Seaton

It seems like just the other day we were writing about the first group of MLS talent who grew up watching the league.

These were boys who were 8- or 10- or perhaps 12-years old when the league kicked the first Mitre ball back in 1996. We’re talking about a guy like Colorado’s Drew Moor, who attended the very first FC Dallas match and was old enough at the time to remember it today and talk about it now.

Well we’re sure past that now.

Credit Soccer America for this smart bit of reporting (along with apologies if someone else pointed this out first):

When D.C. United signed Michael Seaton, the event created a wee little bit of history. He is the first player signed who was born post-MLS launch; the Jamaican-born striker is 16, set to turn 17 in May.

Seaton, by the way, is D.C. United’s fifth home grown signing.

1. randomhookup - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

“How can I keep from singing…”

Might want to double check the hed…

• Steve Davis - Jan 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks. Fixed. (Man, if I had 10 bucks from every time I’ve transposed letters in those particular words, I’d be sipping minty mojitos on some sunny seaside at this very moment. And probably singing, too.)

• dfstell - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Ha…..as someone who has done a lot of blogging, I’m always amazed at how I can read a post several times, fix a few errors and clumsy sentences and hit “post”. Then when I go back to the LIVE post hours later, I instantly see this thing that makes me sound only semi-literate.

It’s hard to do these things…..

• randomhookup - Jan 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

And I was hoping that “MLS” was a new boy band.

2. pensfan603 - Jan 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I normally dont mind if a sound literate or not.. but on the topic, im just happy he isnt younger then me,

3. phillyphannn83 - Jan 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM

now I feel old

4. twotone2 - Jan 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

what about Kellyn Acosta that signed with FCD at 16 earlier this year?

Week 6: Premier League recap