Jan 15, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Real Salt Lake has just gone a long way to replacing the front line power lost when Fabian Espindola’s firebrand talent was shipped to New York in a December trade.
Looks like the gang from Rio Tinto is going back to the future with Robbie Findley.
Findley was a second-round pick of the LA Galaxy back in 2007 but made his MLS bones at Real Salt Lake.
In four years and one short of 100 games, Findley had a respectable 29 goals for RSL, even if he never quite fully nailed down that starting spot under manager Jason Kreis.
He signed with Nottingham Forest two years ago but never established his place at the once prominent City Ground. So now, at 27, he appears to be back in MLS and back with RSL.
Still unresolved is how Findley, who has 11 full international caps for the United States, will arrive into Utah when the Portland Timbers own his rights? In a fairly savvy move, as it turns out, Portland took Findley in the 2010 expansion draft. The striker had already stated his intention to move abroad, so it was a calculated risk for the Timbers, who were wagering that he would, in fact, return to the league.
Well played, sirs.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 2
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?