Jan 16, 2013, 9:26 AM EST
Sporting Kansas City wasn’t messing around. When they said they were done with the Livestrong Foundation, they got to work, and like a zealot who had that curiously supportive guy from work help move the boyfriend’s stuff to the curb, the franchise is moving on with a vengeance.
Today, a drive by Sporting Park will show little evidence that the home of K.C.’s Major League Soccer franchise was ever association with the Lance Armstrong-founded charity.
From Twitter user @MrMortensen:
That big white box at the top of the building may as well say “INSERT NAME HERE.” Something will fill that slot, but until it does, one of Major League Soccer’s jewels will by crowned by a big blank. And the memory of the venue’s first sponsor will persist in its absence.
In case you hadn’t heard, last Monday the fan got defiled in Kansas City, and the relationship between Sporting and the Livestrong Foundation dissolved. Livestrong said Sporting owned it money. Sporting said Livestrong was wrong and strong-arming them. The two sides quickly walked away from each other.
Which is fine. In addition to its 17 Major League Soccer games, Sporting Park will host an All-Star Game in 2013. It’s one of the favorites to get a World Cup Qualifier, and there’s always the Gold Cup.
Business will go on as usual around Sporting Park, but now instead of fans walking up, seeing “Livestrong,” and being reminded of the now-clouded history of that well-meaning organization, they’ll probably just think about soccer.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"