Jan 16, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
Sporting Kansas City wasn’t messing around. When they said they were done with the Livestrong Foundation, they got to work, and like a zealot who had that curiously supportive guy from work help move the boyfriend’s stuff to the curb, the franchise is moving on with a vengeance.
Today, a drive by Sporting Park will show little evidence that the home of K.C.’s Major League Soccer franchise was ever association with the Lance Armstrong-founded charity.
From Twitter user @MrMortensen:
That big white box at the top of the building may as well say “INSERT NAME HERE.” Something will fill that slot, but until it does, one of Major League Soccer’s jewels will by crowned by a big blank. And the memory of the venue’s first sponsor will persist in its absence.
In case you hadn’t heard, last Monday the fan got defiled in Kansas City, and the relationship between Sporting and the Livestrong Foundation dissolved. Livestrong said Sporting owned it money. Sporting said Livestrong was wrong and strong-arming them. The two sides quickly walked away from each other.
Which is fine. In addition to its 17 Major League Soccer games, Sporting Park will host an All-Star Game in 2013. It’s one of the favorites to get a World Cup Qualifier, and there’s always the Gold Cup.
Business will go on as usual around Sporting Park, but now instead of fans walking up, seeing “Livestrong,” and being reminded of the now-clouded history of that well-meaning organization, they’ll probably just think about soccer.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte