Jan 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
Toronto FC, who held the first and third picks in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft coming into the day, have traded out of the top spot, accepting a deal of the No. 4 pick overall and allocation money from the New England Revolution. The Revs, having confirmed the deal, are effectively on the clock.
Most expect the top pick to be Louisville defender Andrew Farrell, though Furman defender Walter Zimmerman, who some rate as the superior prospect, is also expected to go in the top four picks. In trading up, New England’s effectively decided they have a strong preference for which one they get, be it the midfielder-cum-defender Farrell or the U-20 prospect Zimmerman.
The Revs could also be acting on Chivas USA’s public desire to take University of Connecticut midfielder Carlos Alvarez at No. 2. Regardless, the Revolution have decided three spots and a little certainty are worth some allocation money.
For Toronto, the implied messages are reverse. They’re almost guaranteed to get one of Farrell or Zimmerman at No. 3. They may see no risk to letting New England make the choice between two players they value similarly.
Also holding the fourth pick in the draft, Toronto can take whomever they would have chosen before the trade. They’re still going to get a defender. They’re still going to get somebody like Boston College midfielder Kyle Bekker, a popular mock draft pick for TFC’s No. 3 slot.
If New England has developed a strong preference while Toronto’s willing to let things fall as they might, both sides can be happy with this one. And since New England seems more likely to go defense than midfield, Chivas USA will probably still get their man.
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 1
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 4
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Old Trafford 0