Jan 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Toronto FC, who held the first and third picks in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft coming into the day, have traded out of the top spot, accepting a deal of the No. 4 pick overall and allocation money from the New England Revolution. The Revs, having confirmed the deal, are effectively on the clock.
Most expect the top pick to be Louisville defender Andrew Farrell, though Furman defender Walter Zimmerman, who some rate as the superior prospect, is also expected to go in the top four picks. In trading up, New England’s effectively decided they have a strong preference for which one they get, be it the midfielder-cum-defender Farrell or the U-20 prospect Zimmerman.
The Revs could also be acting on Chivas USA’s public desire to take University of Connecticut midfielder Carlos Alvarez at No. 2. Regardless, the Revolution have decided three spots and a little certainty are worth some allocation money.
For Toronto, the implied messages are reverse. They’re almost guaranteed to get one of Farrell or Zimmerman at No. 3. They may see no risk to letting New England make the choice between two players they value similarly.
Also holding the fourth pick in the draft, Toronto can take whomever they would have chosen before the trade. They’re still going to get a defender. They’re still going to get somebody like Boston College midfielder Kyle Bekker, a popular mock draft pick for TFC’s No. 3 slot.
If New England has developed a strong preference while Toronto’s willing to let things fall as they might, both sides can be happy with this one. And since New England seems more likely to go defense than midfield, Chivas USA will probably still get their man.
- MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 2-3 Montreal Impact (video) 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 3
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 1