Jan 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Toronto FC, who held the first and third picks in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft coming into the day, have traded out of the top spot, accepting a deal of the No. 4 pick overall and allocation money from the New England Revolution. The Revs, having confirmed the deal, are effectively on the clock.
Most expect the top pick to be Louisville defender Andrew Farrell, though Furman defender Walter Zimmerman, who some rate as the superior prospect, is also expected to go in the top four picks. In trading up, New England’s effectively decided they have a strong preference for which one they get, be it the midfielder-cum-defender Farrell or the U-20 prospect Zimmerman.
The Revs could also be acting on Chivas USA’s public desire to take University of Connecticut midfielder Carlos Alvarez at No. 2. Regardless, the Revolution have decided three spots and a little certainty are worth some allocation money.
For Toronto, the implied messages are reverse. They’re almost guaranteed to get one of Farrell or Zimmerman at No. 3. They may see no risk to letting New England make the choice between two players they value similarly.
Also holding the fourth pick in the draft, Toronto can take whomever they would have chosen before the trade. They’re still going to get a defender. They’re still going to get somebody like Boston College midfielder Kyle Bekker, a popular mock draft pick for TFC’s No. 3 slot.
If New England has developed a strong preference while Toronto’s willing to let things fall as they might, both sides can be happy with this one. And since New England seems more likely to go defense than midfield, Chivas USA will probably still get their man.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public