Jan 17, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Simon Borg and Alexi Lalas had an impassioned discussion during the MLS Draft — btdubs: nice job, guys. Seriously good/entertaining stuff throughout — regarding the future of Freddy Adu. The Philadelphia Union playmaker/enigma/disappointment/star/etc., once again, finds himself in career limbo, and the pair wondered about his future.
Lalas is of the opinion that very few teams would want Adu even if the Union ate a large portion of his outsized cap hit. That, I think, is the standard perception of Adu in 2013.
The outspoken Borg, on the other hand, had a very different take. The basic gist: Give the dude the keys! He believes Adu could be magic, could be the No. 10 the Union (and the league) needs, could perform miracles, could et. etc. etc. under the right circumstances, circumstances which he’s never. Borg — who loves his dramatic pronouncements — compared Edu to former D.C. United star Marco Etcheverry.
About that: I’m not buying. You cannot build an MLS team around Freddy Adu. He’s too unreliable, too inconsistent, too much trouble. There was, perhaps, a time when Adu could be the focal point of a team, but that time is long gone. And I think you could make a case that past teams used him wrong, but again, that time is over and done with.
In this debate, Lalas wins.
And then there’s this:
— Jeff Carlisle (@JeffreyCarlisle) January 17, 2013
— Jeff Carlisle (@JeffreyCarlisle) January 17, 2013
Now, let’s talk about Carlos Alvarez for a second. I think there’s a better chance Chivas USA’s newest first round pick is the man Borg/Lalas want than Adu. He’s quick, crafty, and willing to learn. He’ll do fine in Southern California, you just watch.
While you’re waiting to watch, here’s Alvarez talking about his future at Chivas. He doesn’t sound like a dude who is prepared to come in and take over, but we shall see.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 3
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 25
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (25)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public