Jan 17, 2013, 10:19 AM EST
It’s not all about the MLS Draft today. Some of the passers and trappers taken in today’s draft may soon find themselves playing in the U.S. Open Cup. (See how I connected the dots there …)
The excellent web site TheCup.US, dedicated to all things Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, has the scoop this morning on tournament dates coming up.
By the way, this year’s tournament is the 100th version. It’s already one of the best kept secrets of America soccer (although it’s slowly crawling out from beneath that boulder of anonymity). Being the 100th version just makes it that much better.
The tournament-date lowdown looks like this:
- First-round matches are set for May 14
- Second round is set for May 21
- Third round (when MLS sides begin play) is set for May 28
- Fourth round is set for June 12
- Quarterfinals are set for June 26
- Semifinals are set for Aug. 7 or 21
- The U.S. Open Cup final will be played on Oct. 1 or 2
Dec 6, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
The late Nelson Mandela, who passed away Thursday at age 95, will be honored at all nine Premier League matches on Saturday with a minute of applause. The applause for Mandela, a fan of the sport who was instrumental in bringing the World Cup to South Africa, will also be heard at Championship and FA…
Dec 6, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
Newcastle will look to follow Everton’s lead in ending decades of frustration at Old Trafford, with both the Magpies and Manchester United coming off recently-rare losses.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:41 AM EST
David Moyes denies using an expletive to describe his Old Trafford booing by Everton supporters, while plenty are weighing in on his performance.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:14 AM EST
Why Liverpool should break the bank to keep Suarez at Anfield:
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 AM EST
Can you name the now seven keepers to win Premier League monthly honors as top player? Hints: Tim Krul of Newcastle just became No. 7, and one man won it with two teams.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:16 AM EST
With Fulham grinding for their Premier League lives, can Dimitar Berbatov help guide the Craven Cottage faithful to safer waters, or is he not the type of player suited for a relegation battle?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:27 AM EST
How does the 2012 Goalkeeper of the Year compare to this year’s runner up?
Dec 6, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
The Everton defender backs David Moyes to have long-term success at Manchester United. So much so, that it almost seems like he wishes his old boss had brought him along to Old Trafford…
Dec 5, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Despite the fact that the 49-year-old manager gives no care to who the United States get drawn against, he does have a preference for another draw…their location.
Dec 5, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
We will also look at the midfields, the forward groups and the goalkeepers
Dec 5, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
From the season opening win in San Jose to the turnaround against LA and their final wins over Portland, we talk about RSL’s 2013.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:54 PM EST
Southampton’s injuries have compounded, as down goes their midfield stalwort.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Manager Peter Vermes, goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen and midfielder Graham Zusi spoke to media from Kansas City on Thursday evening:
Dec 5, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
The loss of the 95-year-old South African legend has reminded many around the sport of memories they had, or what the man did for not just soccer but humanity.
Dec 5, 2013, 7:38 PM EST
Will Lukaku and co. roll into the Emirates and upset the apple cart? We break it down:
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Picking matches in the Premier League is darn near impossible but somebody has to do it.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
“Right now the media are getting AVB to do exactly what they want him to do, which is react and get upset,” Martino said.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
Chicago Fire forward Mike Magee was voted the Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2013 season.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
EXCLUSIVE — Howard and Bradley agree huge task awaits in Brazil, but progress past the quarterfinal stage is still the aim:
Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 AM EST
Pele’s reluctance to help draw the balls stems from his reputation in Brazil as a ‘pe-fri’, or ‘cold foot’.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 7
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)