Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 AM EST
Most of us couldn’t spell Bursaspor if you spotted us the “Burs” and the “spor.”
It’s not even the top team in Turkey; that distinction belongs to Galatasaray or perhaps Fenerbahçe.
But in this case, who cares? U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu needs to play. And for whatever reason, that just does not seem to be in the cards Stoke City.
Which is why this is good news: Edu is moving for the spring on loan to Bursaspor.
It’s been a pretty rough few months for Edu, the central midfielder who has also been seen at center back in the U.S. shirt. He was caught in the middle of the mess at Rangers as the Scottish giant fell apart amid financial tumult last year. That led to a summer of transfer instability.
All looked settled as Edu moved to Stoke City just before the Premiership campaign. But unlike Geoff Cameron, who immediately got into the Potters’ lineup and became an important part of manager Tony Pulis’ plans. Edu just never gained a foothold.
Edu sits no higher than 4th or 5th on the current list of U.S. central midfielders, and that may be changing soon if Stuart Holden can regain all of his Stuart Holden-ness in good time. Edu certainly needs to be on the field for any hope of improving his place in the fluid order.
We know that at least one prominent person is excited about this; from U.S. national teammate Jozy Altidore’s official Twitter feed:
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''