Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 AM EST
Most of us couldn’t spell Bursaspor if you spotted us the “Burs” and the “spor.”
It’s not even the top team in Turkey; that distinction belongs to Galatasaray or perhaps Fenerbahçe.
But in this case, who cares? U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu needs to play. And for whatever reason, that just does not seem to be in the cards Stoke City.
Which is why this is good news: Edu is moving for the spring on loan to Bursaspor.
It’s been a pretty rough few months for Edu, the central midfielder who has also been seen at center back in the U.S. shirt. He was caught in the middle of the mess at Rangers as the Scottish giant fell apart amid financial tumult last year. That led to a summer of transfer instability.
All looked settled as Edu moved to Stoke City just before the Premiership campaign. But unlike Geoff Cameron, who immediately got into the Potters’ lineup and became an important part of manager Tony Pulis’ plans. Edu just never gained a foothold.
Edu sits no higher than 4th or 5th on the current list of U.S. central midfielders, and that may be changing soon if Stuart Holden can regain all of his Stuart Holden-ness in good time. Edu certainly needs to be on the field for any hope of improving his place in the fluid order.
We know that at least one prominent person is excited about this; from U.S. national teammate Jozy Altidore’s official Twitter feed:
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy