Jan 17, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Most of us couldn’t spell Bursaspor if you spotted us the “Burs” and the “spor.”
It’s not even the top team in Turkey; that distinction belongs to Galatasaray or perhaps Fenerbahçe.
But in this case, who cares? U.S. midfielder Maurice Edu needs to play. And for whatever reason, that just does not seem to be in the cards Stoke City.
Which is why this is good news: Edu is moving for the spring on loan to Bursaspor.
It’s been a pretty rough few months for Edu, the central midfielder who has also been seen at center back in the U.S. shirt. He was caught in the middle of the mess at Rangers as the Scottish giant fell apart amid financial tumult last year. That led to a summer of transfer instability.
All looked settled as Edu moved to Stoke City just before the Premiership campaign. But unlike Geoff Cameron, who immediately got into the Potters’ lineup and became an important part of manager Tony Pulis’ plans. Edu just never gained a foothold.
Edu sits no higher than 4th or 5th on the current list of U.S. central midfielders, and that may be changing soon if Stuart Holden can regain all of his Stuart Holden-ness in good time. Edu certainly needs to be on the field for any hope of improving his place in the fluid order.
We know that at least one prominent person is excited about this; from U.S. national teammate Jozy Altidore’s official Twitter feed:
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public