Jan 18, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
What a massive bit of news this will be, assuming all comes to fruition: Brek Shea to Stoke City FC.
ESPN analyst Taylor Twellman had the news Friday afternoon on Twitter, reporting that the FC Dallas winger may soon be on his way to England’s Premier League club, pending a lengthy physical.
Reported sale price for the rangy 22-year-old attacker: $3.5 million, which looks a little low but surely reflects the fact that he’s coming off a poor season, not to mention coming off surgery. A year ago, coming off that breakthrough 2011 season, the price for Shea would surely have doubled, at least.
Where the story goes from here:
- The physical that Shea must pass is no small matter. He was undone by injuries last year ranging from a frustrating turf toe that bothered Shea for much of 2012 to off-season foot surgery, which prevented the Texan from joining Jurgen Klinsmann’s ongoing January camp in Southern California. Stoke City had better poke and prod with all due diligence.
- While $3.5 million doesn’t get close to an MLS mark for sell price, it does give FC Dallas some decent money to play with in the market. Technical director Fernando Clavijo, you are on the clock!
- While getting into England probably isn’t a bad thing, Stoke is a something of a different place. They play a lot of defense – and then attack almost as afterthought. It’s a helluva place for someone like Goeff Cameron, the U.S. international defender who has become a fixture in Tony Pulis’ lineup. For a winger? Well … we’ll see.
- On the other hand, Stoke is become to this decade what Fulham was to the last decade: the go-to for U.S. fans who might be looking for a second (or even first) team to support. Maurice Edu may not have worked out for the time being, but he remains Potters’ property. If this one comes to pass …
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 5
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team