Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Will there ever come an American player where the surplus of animated discussion, weighed against the actual quantity of achievement, is so wildly imbalanced as it is with Freddy Adu?
Honestly, I doubt it.
The next chapter in the young playmaker’s mercurial career is no unfolding, as his days with Philadelphia seem numbered. Nothing is set … but listening to Union boss John Hackworth across various platforms during yesterday’s MLS draft, you really cannot like young Adu’s chances of remaining at PPL Park much longer.
It appears Adu will not even be with the club as the Union opens camp – never a good sign.
Hackworth answered one question about a potential Adu transfer with a “possibly.” Another query was greeted with similar ambiguity. More details are here from Brotherly Game.
The bottom line on Adu is that he was barely part of the team in the waning days of Philadelphia’s 2012 season. In Major League Soccer, carrying a $500,000 salary for a player who isn’t reliably productive (never mind that the guy is not really even a reliable starter) is roster suicide.
I would be shocked if Adu is a Union man as they open the season March 2 in Chester against Kansas City. The question then becomes: how much of Adu’s salary might they still be carrying? Because if Adu remains in MLS, I would imagine the Union will be toting some of it, and possibly quite a bit.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million