Jan 18, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
As we all study and ponder our favorite teams in sports, let’s remember this critical postulate: just because someone has money and, therefore, owns the right to make critical decisions, that does not indicate that they are necessarily a smart person and that they know their thumb from their elbow when it comes to, you know … sports!
In most corners the news is landing somewhere between “strange” and “outright lunacy.”
No, Southampton did not start the Premiership season well. But was that so surprising, considering a roster that looked more like a Championship (second-tier) side?
Besides, Adkins’ men have done better lately, just recently rallying from two goals down to manufacture a 2-2 draw at Chelsea. That’s a pretty reasonable result for an Arsenal or a Tottenham … much less for a Southampton. By the way, the club now sits above the drop zone, with a two-team cushion, in fact.
Besides all that, what do we make of a replacement (Pochettino) who has fired himself just last November from Espanyol, who sat bottom of La Liga at the time?
Two years ago, Southampton was in dire financial distress, mired in England’s third tier. The well-liked Adkins guided them up two levels in two seasons, a truly remarkable achievement. Just ask a former giant like Leeds United what a feat that is, given all the built-in impediments and the fierce competition.
Yes, there were defensive issues through the fall. But given the resources, who could have done any better?
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public