Jan 18, 2013, 8:24 AM EDT
MLS commissioner Don Garber mentioned one particular point of pride during yesterday’s draft: how many current MLS managers once played in the league.
Remember, MLS is still just 18 years old. That’s not a little toddler of a league anymore, but it’s still an impressionable whippersnapper compared to the better established sports.
So it does say something about association stability and the drive to create the best league possible when we are into double digits with the number of coaches who have come through MLS as players.
It doesn’t mean they will be better tacticians or that they can re-invent the coaching wheel. Rather, equipped with an understanding of Major League Soccer’s unique challenges, they can better manage the operation, deal with issues and more smoothly handle the personnel machinations.
For the record, the 10 who have played in MLS and now sit atop the managerial hill are: Caleb Porter, Jay Heaps, Ben Olsen, Oscar Pareja, Jason Kreis, Frank Klopas, Peter Vermes, Frank Yallop, Dominic Kinnear and Robert Warzycha.
(Update: Make that 11 … forgot about Ryan Nelsen, who has been hired but has not yet begun at Toronto FC. And thanks to the commenter CRNelson10 for that one.)
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public