Jan 19, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
Erik Pieters is a 24-year-old left back for Dutch power PSV. He has 15 caps for the Oranje and was close to making last summer’s Euro 2012 squad, but after his exploits on Friday, Pieters will likely be known for something that happened off the field. Something that happened just off the field.
With his league-leading team down 3-1 in the 67th minute to visiting PEC Zwolle, Pieters was on a wrong end of a rash red card from Dennis Higler. The defender did come in from behind on Fred Benson, but it wasn’t the kind of reckless, out of control play that usually draws red. The challenge may have been a foul, but given how he went into the play (barely making contact), Benson wasn’t in much danger.
But that’s the type of day it was for PSV, who lost at home to a team struggling against relegation. For Pieters, if was cause to let off some stream as he wwent downt he tunnel, a process that left a Philips Stadium window broken and Pieters needing surgery.
Check out the damage (actual action starts around 13 seconds in):
According to the club, Pieters later underwent surgery for “damage to several structures in his [forearm].” A timetable for his return had yet to be determined.
Pieters was just coming back from a foot injury that’s plagued him over the last nine months, one that cost him a spot on last summers European Championship team. Once healthy, he was expected to compete for a place in Louis Van Gaal’s starting XI, Obviously, that will have to wait.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)