Jan 19, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
See the way this shot dives toward the back of the next as it crosses the goal line? That’s the kind of action you get with you hit the ball as pure as Belgian striker Christian Benteke strikes this shot.
Not that I’d know. And most of you reading this won’t know, either. There are a few hundred people on the planet that can pull this play off, and none of them are professed PST readers. Odds are players capable of doing something like this don’t waste their time reading me drool over goals.
But my mouth is full agape after seeing this one. It came during the first half of Aston Villa’s Saturday visit to West Bromwich Albion. Twelve minutes into the derby, Benteke’s fed a pass that find him back to goal, slightly to the right of Ben Foster’s net. Taking advantage of some apathetic defending, the 22-year-old striker blistered a ball toward the inside of Foster’s left post.
Ultimately, the ball ended up in the back of goal, but even with a quick dive away from the side netting, Foster had no chance to stop what is the current goal of the day:
West Brom and Aston Villa are still in progress at The Hawthorns, the Baggies having just made it 2-2.
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 5
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 15
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional