Jan 19, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
See the way this shot dives toward the back of the next as it crosses the goal line? That’s the kind of action you get with you hit the ball as pure as Belgian striker Christian Benteke strikes this shot.
Not that I’d know. And most of you reading this won’t know, either. There are a few hundred people on the planet that can pull this play off, and none of them are professed PST readers. Odds are players capable of doing something like this don’t waste their time reading me drool over goals.
But my mouth is full agape after seeing this one. It came during the first half of Aston Villa’s Saturday visit to West Bromwich Albion. Twelve minutes into the derby, Benteke’s fed a pass that find him back to goal, slightly to the right of Ben Foster’s net. Taking advantage of some apathetic defending, the 22-year-old striker blistered a ball toward the inside of Foster’s left post.
Ultimately, the ball ended up in the back of goal, but even with a quick dive away from the side netting, Foster had no chance to stop what is the current goal of the day:
West Brom and Aston Villa are still in progress at The Hawthorns, the Baggies having just made it 2-2.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Shakhtar go goal crazy 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 0
- LIVE – Champions League half time update: Blowouts! Get your blowouts here! 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: At the half, unstoppable Bayern Munich up 5-0 at Roma 0
- CSKA Moscow 2-2 Manchester City: Citizens blow 2-0 lead, Champions League hopes in ruin 0