Jan 20, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
No sooner had Taylor Twellman’s news breaking Tweet started making the rounds last Friday, that FC Dallas’ Brek Shea had one foot in England as the newest member of Stoke City, than speculation had commenced that he was becoming a left back.
It’s Stoke City, after all. And they do like them some defense at the Britannia.
Personally, I’m not so sure the conversion of Shea to fullback would be imminent. It is precisely because manager Tony Pulis and the Potters have been able to remain in the Premiership with a doctrine of defense-first that I don’t think the young left winger is bound for a move backward in the arrangement.
He’s certainly OK at the defensive tracking of a midfielder, but he’s not a natural fullback, which means he is not packaged up with a defenders’ instincts and tendencies. So, why would Pulis and Co. trust a midfielder to a responsibility that is so valued, so absolutely essential, around the Stoke City grounds?
If we’re talking about Shea as an outside back at a club where the defenders are encouraged to get up and down the flanks , that’s a different matter.
Either way, Twellman had an interesting take on it, taking the conversation to a different place altogether.
Talking to myself and Marc Stein this morning on Soccer Today, Twellman said he believes converting Shea to an outside back would be a good and productive thing.
His reasoning: For all the positive elements in the young man’s game, his audacity, his ranginess, his combination of speed, power and explosiveness … Shea’s numbers tell the story of an attacker who perhaps does not always make the best connections in the final third. Perhaps he would be better running at defenders from a different set of starting points, with a different set of choices?
His last two years at FC Dallas, Shea has just six assists (while managing 14 goals). Some of that was down to Dallas’ lack of a quality striker over much of the period, but the point is well made.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public