Jan 20, 2013, 7:47 AM EST
Weather is making news across England, but Manchester United match today against Clint Dempsey and Spurs is still “on” at the moment.
Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
The trouble maker is a massive weather system, with lots of snow and frigid temperatures, that is hampering everything from local to national to international travel. And potentially hampering the soccer, too.
All scheduled Premiership matches went on Saturday, as most of the grounds at the moneyed clubs have underground heating systems that help keep the fields playable. Not so in the lower leagues, however; 6 of 12 matches were postponed yesterday in England’s League One (the country’s third tier.)
(That’s Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, enjoying a Friday kick-around in the snow during Gunners’ training just north of London.)
Transport For London (TFL) fed to Twitter this morning: “At present all London football matches are going ahead. Chelsea v Arsenal and Tottenham v Man U. Allow extra time to travel due to weather.”
Back in September, remember, Dempsey’s first goal for Spurs helped make history, sa Tottenham took all three points out of Old Trafford for the first time since 1989.
Even playing at home, Tottenham has its work cut out; first-place Manchester United comes into White Hart Lane unbeaten in their last 10 league contest (a 9-0-1 mark in that stretch).
- Men in Blazers podcast: Talking FA Cup upsets with guests Andy Lanning, Josh Scobee 0
- Diego Costa could get retrospective ban, miss Chelsea’s clash vs. Manchester City 0
- Gareth Bale dismisses Manchester United speculation, happy at Real Madrid 2
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has become Premier League villain No. 1 4
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic ensures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 7