Jan 20, 2013, 7:47 AM EST
Weather is making news across England, but Manchester United match today against Clint Dempsey and Spurs is still “on” at the moment.
Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.
The trouble maker is a massive weather system, with lots of snow and frigid temperatures, that is hampering everything from local to national to international travel. And potentially hampering the soccer, too.
All scheduled Premiership matches went on Saturday, as most of the grounds at the moneyed clubs have underground heating systems that help keep the fields playable. Not so in the lower leagues, however; 6 of 12 matches were postponed yesterday in England’s League One (the country’s third tier.)
(That’s Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, enjoying a Friday kick-around in the snow during Gunners’ training just north of London.)
Transport For London (TFL) fed to Twitter this morning: “At present all London football matches are going ahead. Chelsea v Arsenal and Tottenham v Man U. Allow extra time to travel due to weather.”
Back in September, remember, Dempsey’s first goal for Spurs helped make history, sa Tottenham took all three points out of Old Trafford for the first time since 1989.
Even playing at home, Tottenham has its work cut out; first-place Manchester United comes into White Hart Lane unbeaten in their last 10 league contest (a 9-0-1 mark in that stretch).
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 1