Jan 20, 2013, 9:47 AM EST
Perhaps Tim Ream is getting tired of reading all the glowing reports of young American center backs – CBs not named Tim Ream, that is.
Omar Gonzalez, now immersed in his first extended U.S. national team camp, has gotten his share of public affection lately, hasn’t he?
And then there was lots of superlative-laced ink spilled over Andrew Farrell, the No. 1 pick in last week’s MLS draft, who may be stepping into New England’s central defense sooner rather than later.
For whatever reason, Ream had a pretty nifty week, too.
The former New York Red Bulls center back wasn’t in the lineup in mid-week as Bolton kicked a Premier League team (Sunderland) out of FA Cup action. Still, that’s a big plus for the entire organization, and the extra match can’t hurt Ream’s push for as much action as possible.
Ream did get back on the field Saturday as Bolton visited Crystal Palace and left with a well-earned point in a 0-0 draw. Ream, used occasionally in midfield lately for Bolton, started back at his more comfortable central defensive position Saturday at Selhurst Park, alongside Zat Knight as one of five changes in Wanderers lineup.
So much of the talk around this match centered on Manchester United target Wilfried Zaha, and the high-value target did tend to impress on Saturday.
Still, the road shutout belonged to Bolton, with at least one publication singling out Ream’s stellar contributions in particular. Said the hometown Bolton News: “Wanderers had to do a lot of defending, with Tim Ream particularly outstanding in the middle.”
Bolton teammates Stuart Holden, by the way, having appeared in the mid-week contest, was left out of the squad for this one.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 5
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)