Jan 20, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
We know Jurgen Klinsmann prefers to swim in the “positive” end of the pool. Always.
As a starting point, we can probably assume that everybody is having a great national team camp out in sunny Southern California.
But perhaps some people are having a really super-duper great camp — even greater than everyone else.
Graham Zusi and Will Bruin seem to particularly be impressing the boss, for instance.
Zusi got a head start on the training camp bunch, training for a few days at West Ham. The additional fitness work and the sharp edge needed to train with an English Premier League outfit certainly didn’t hurt the Sporting KC man as he got into U.S. camp.
Here’s Klinsmann on how Zusi looks with the U.S. men after training with West Ham:
He’s in very, very good shape. Graham obviously has a little advantage because he’s already done this before, and players that were already in a camp know now that you can’t come in unprepared. So he’s very well prepared and certain players you could see right from the beginning had given themselves a head start, which is normal.
Bruin (pictured) is participating in his first camp. The Houston Dynamo striker needs to step lively here and seize the opportunity, because Alan Gordon or Chris Pontius could well have been picked over Bruin but for their injuries. It sounds like he’s holding his own:
Will is a team player, is focused 24/7 and he’s a great finisher. We’re trying now to give him another level, a more fast-paced rhythm than what he’s used to – which is normal for a new player in a National Team environment – and he adjusted to it right away. So far he’s done really well.”
There’s more from Klinsmann in an interview he did two late last week in California with the USSoccer.com staff.
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Something in common for Jurgen Klinsmann, Alex Ferguson 1
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago