Jan 20, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
We know Jurgen Klinsmann prefers to swim in the “positive” end of the pool. Always.
As a starting point, we can probably assume that everybody is having a great national team camp out in sunny Southern California.
But perhaps some people are having a really super-duper great camp — even greater than everyone else.
Graham Zusi and Will Bruin seem to particularly be impressing the boss, for instance.
Zusi got a head start on the training camp bunch, training for a few days at West Ham. The additional fitness work and the sharp edge needed to train with an English Premier League outfit certainly didn’t hurt the Sporting KC man as he got into U.S. camp.
Here’s Klinsmann on how Zusi looks with the U.S. men after training with West Ham:
He’s in very, very good shape. Graham obviously has a little advantage because he’s already done this before, and players that were already in a camp know now that you can’t come in unprepared. So he’s very well prepared and certain players you could see right from the beginning had given themselves a head start, which is normal.
Bruin (pictured) is participating in his first camp. The Houston Dynamo striker needs to step lively here and seize the opportunity, because Alan Gordon or Chris Pontius could well have been picked over Bruin but for their injuries. It sounds like he’s holding his own:
Will is a team player, is focused 24/7 and he’s a great finisher. We’re trying now to give him another level, a more fast-paced rhythm than what he’s used to – which is normal for a new player in a National Team environment – and he adjusted to it right away. So far he’s done really well.”
There’s more from Klinsmann in an interview he did two late last week in California with the USSoccer.com staff.
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8