Jan 21, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
Landon Donovan, the very face of U.S. Soccer over more than a decade, is not in the LA Galaxy preseason camp today – but manager Bruce Arena says he will be soon.
Arena told reporters today at the conclusion of the club’s initial workout that Donovan will play soccer in 2013. That was in question after the Galaxy and U.S. international attacker, 30, spoke repeatedly last year about waning desire, even mentioning the possibility of retirement on several occasions.
With that, one significant question of Major League Soccer’s preseason – perhaps the question of training camp time around MLS – seems closer to resolution today.
Not all the questions have been answered, however. There’s still the “When” to consider, because the longtime MLS man and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer was not present today. Arena could not say exactly when he would be.
Arena did meet with Donovan over the weekend, as the manager said he would during last week’s draft proceedings in Indianapolis.
We’ve given him a little more time off. He’s definitely playing this year, but we’re just working out a return date that makes sense for all of us…we’re working that out soon.”
Arena also said he was always confident the Galaxy DP would return for a 13th MLS season. (Yes, 13th … is Donovan really that old already?)
I thought he was going to come back. I think he just needs a little bit more of an extended leave of absence. He’s got a couple of years that have taken its toll and he needs a little bit more time.”
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014