Jan 21, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Landon Donovan, the very face of U.S. Soccer over more than a decade, is not in the LA Galaxy preseason camp today – but manager Bruce Arena says he will be soon.
Arena told reporters today at the conclusion of the club’s initial workout that Donovan will play soccer in 2013. That was in question after the Galaxy and U.S. international attacker, 30, spoke repeatedly last year about waning desire, even mentioning the possibility of retirement on several occasions.
With that, one significant question of Major League Soccer’s preseason – perhaps the question of training camp time around MLS – seems closer to resolution today.
Not all the questions have been answered, however. There’s still the “When” to consider, because the longtime MLS man and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer was not present today. Arena could not say exactly when he would be.
Arena did meet with Donovan over the weekend, as the manager said he would during last week’s draft proceedings in Indianapolis.
We’ve given him a little more time off. He’s definitely playing this year, but we’re just working out a return date that makes sense for all of us…we’re working that out soon.”
Arena also said he was always confident the Galaxy DP would return for a 13th MLS season. (Yes, 13th … is Donovan really that old already?)
I thought he was going to come back. I think he just needs a little bit more of an extended leave of absence. He’s got a couple of years that have taken its toll and he needs a little bit more time.”
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1