Jan 21, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
(Over the next week we’ll look at two or three Major League Soccer clubs per day, considering what they need to accomplish and which questions most deserve answers during preseason training camp. Opening day in MLS is March 2.)
The trick right now around Chivas USA is narrowing down the list of questions to ask about the perennially wandering franchise.
Complicating the fact that new manager Jose Luis Sanchez Solá (pictured) has been on site less than two weeks, the club’s personnel philosophy remains a shifting work in progress, now returning to the original developmental and cultural concept.
While Chivas USA may not be the sexiest side to examine (because of the lacking name recognition on the roster and due to the club’s historic lack of post-season or tourney success) it is probably among the most interesting of preseason studies. Really, this thing could go anywhere.
The players reported this morning into the Home Depot Center. Well, some of them, anyway. Read on …
- Do we even know who will be with the team in six week?
So very many questions remain about the main men on Chivas USA’s roster – even as the team gets into camp in Southern California today. Will Oswaldo Minda return? Is Juan Agudelo moving to Celtic before the January transfer window closes? Is Shalrie Joseph, 34, still part of the plan?
Are they really going to jettison Dan Kennedy? (Was there an MLS player who elicited more sympathy in 2012 than beleaguered, besieged Chivas USA ‘keeper Dan Kennedy? An MLS All-Star who still allowed 54 goals? MLS may never see such a thing.)
So in one sense it’s surprising that Chivas may be looking to move the well-liked, highly respected 6th-year pro. But if the club is going to be all about bringing in Mexican players, so be it. Why wait? They should lean right into now, right?
- Where does Carlos Alvarez fit it?
The No. 2 pick in last week’s draft looks like a real talent. Then again, playmakers don’t really begin making the game-changing plays in MLS at such a young age. Yes, UConn creator Carlos Alvarez was the hand-picked selection of Chivas USA’s new manager. But he seems more likely to start in a wide position, learning to be a professional from a slightly less demanding position. Putting too much on the young man straight away seems like a bad way to start. It’s asking for trouble.
- Who are the veteran leaders?
The list of veteran players apparently or definitely not returning this year includes Juan Pablo Angel, Peter Vagenas, Ryan Smith, Alejandro Moreno and Danny Califf. Perhaps Kennedy, too.
In a sense, watching the club attempt to develop Mexican or Mexican-American talent is exciting. On the other hand, arranging the best chance of success for emerging talent means marrying the youngsters with a few been-there-done-that types.
Dumping all that salary has its advantages, for sure; the linked piece from Goat Parade helps explain how this is specifically applicable to Chivas USA. Then again, few teams will prosper without a reasonable balance of youth and experience.
MORE in ProSoccerTalk’s preseason camp series:
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"