Jan 21, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
(Update, 6:42 p.m. ET: Hearing from one MLS source that Paulo Sousa is the coach soon to be named, despite the cool response from Red Bulls officials when reporters asked about the former QPR manager and other potential targets today.)
I was encouraged when I heard about the Red Bulls’ new management and its plans to incorporate a heavy American influence among the hierarchy of deciders.
Sounds like a solid plan, right? If Red Bull totem pole topper Gerard Houllier and sporting director Andy Roxburgh do not have a deep grasp on domestic soccer, best to bring someone onto the coaching staff who does.
It seemed that Red Bulls, a historic mess of a franchise in terms of personnel bungling, was still on some reasonable path to stability.
But then … Well, this is not a good sign. At all.
Yes, Major League Soccer’s off-season was brief, by domestic sports standards, anyway. So perhaps two months is not enough time to turn up a good coaching fit?
Then again, Roxburgh presumably knew late last season that he and the Red Bulls would not be retaining manager Hans Backe. So, uh, what are they waiting for in hiring a new man in charge?
Presumably, Roxburgh did not intend to be down in Florida running a training camp, along with interim man Mike Petke. And yet, here we are.
The team has gathered in New Jersey for the procedural work (physicals, meetings, etc.) before the real work begins in Florida.
What Roxburgh said today about this increasingly curious circumstance:
I want to address the obvious things. We’re talking to a number of people, a lot with really interesting backgrounds, but we’re still in discussions. We appreciate the fans’ patience, but we don’t want to rush to judgment. There will be an announcement soon. We ask that you be patient just a little bit longer. We want to make sure it’s someone who’s available and who’s appropriate.”
In his protracted search for a manager, Roxburgh calls it “a matter of taking time and doing things properly.” Fair enough.
But if conducting a player draft (a valuable tool in every MLS club’s box of player acquisition devices) without a managerial direction, and if starting a preseason training camp without a coach in charge is anyone’s idea of “doing things properly,” then a whole bunch of MLS teams out there are doing it wrong.
Could it be that this interesting theory from Empire of Soccer is correct, that conflicting ideas are mucking up the process?
The Red Bulls are the only team heading to training camp without a head coach.*
So we’re trying to give some benefit of the doubt to the new Red Bulls regime, but this is not starting well.
*Toronto FC has a coach, technically, but, well … oh, nevermind. We’ve covered that ground.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 2
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"