Jan 22, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
U.S. Soccer says Steven Beitashour and Edson Buddle have left the ongoing national team camp due to injury and will not be available for next week’s friendly against Canada in Houston.
That’s certainly bad news for the Earthquakes outside back, who was in his first extended national team camp, and for Buddle, who needed a little confidence boost after a series of professional stumbles.
On the other hand, it opens some opportunities:
I know Twitter was popping with Tony Beltran implication, the theory that Real Salt Lake’s right back was a shoe-in to start against Canada. But a few people have apparently forgotten that while A.J. DeLaGarza has been a center back for some time now in Los Angeles, he has been a right back previously for the Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team.
Looking at four other center backs in camp, DeLaGarza is far more likely to appear on the outside.
Buddle’s absence increases the chances that uncapped Will Bruin (pictured), easily the least internationally experienced striker in camp, will get some minutes next week in Houston – especially as it’s his hometown club.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement