Jan 23, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
CONCACAF has announced the venues for this summer’s Gold Cup, with five returning venues joined by eight new locations for the 2013 tournament:
“With a mix of historic venues and brand new state of the art soccer facilities that average 57,000 spectators, the 2013 edition of the Gold Cup promises to provide fans both in stadium and at home with unforgettable atmospheres in world class venues.”
Well, as long as they’re promising.
Five Major League Soccer venues will host games, with most of the other facilities the type of big capacity, gridiron-friendly stadiums we usually see sprinkled throughout this tournament.
Here’s the full list:
• Atlanta – Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA)
• Baltimore – M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, MD)
• Chicago – Soldier Field (Chicago, IL)
• Dallas – Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, TX)
• Denver – Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Denver, CO)
• Hartford – Rentschler Field (East Hartford, CT)
• Houston – BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston, TX)
• Los Angeles – Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA)
• Miami – Sun Life Stadium (Miami Gardens, FL)
• New York- Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ)
• Portland – JELD-WEN Field (Portland, OR)
• Salt Lake City – Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, UT)
• Seattle – CenturyLink Field (Seattle, WA)
Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver, Hartford, Portland and Salt Lake City are first time Gold Cup hosts, and although the tournament’s been in Houston before, this is the first time BBVA Compass Stadium will host the event.
Venues who had games in 2011 who are not on this list: Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte), FIU Stadium (Miami), Ford Field (Detroit), Home Depot Center (Carson, Calif.), Livestrong Park (Kansas City), New Meadowlands Stadium (East Rutherford), Raymond James Stadium (Tampa), Reliant Stadium (Houston), RFK Stadium (Washington D.C.).
With the tournament field not yet set, no specific dates and matchups have been set. In all likelihood, we’ll see the Rose Bowl get the final. Expect Cowboy Stadium to get strong consideration for the semifinals (Reliant Stadium hosted them in 2011), and if the competition replicates the east-to-west nature of 2011’s knockout round, Sun Life Stadium, the Georgia Dome, and M&T Bank Stadium would be among the likely quarterfinal spots.
Eleven nations have qualified for the 12-team tournament: Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States. Guatemala and Panama meet Friday to determine the tournament’s final entrant.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
United captain Wayne Rooney wasn’t interested in discussing his club’s failure to keep up with Manchester City.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
Spurs seal third-straight win in all competitions to move up to sixth.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Foxes are six points back of safety and share the worst goal differential in England’s top flight (minus-14).
Dec 20, 2014, 12:03 PM EST
Incredible comeback from 2-0 down seals yet another home win for QPR.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:58 AM EST
The loss keeps Hull three points from safety.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
Saints smash three past sorry Everton,
Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United: Falcao header equals Benteke’s stunner, 10-man Villans hang on for point
Dec 20, 2014, 11:52 AM EST
United loses ground to No. 2 Manchester City, which trounced Crystal Palace, while Villa grabs its 20th point of the season.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:57 AM EST
It’s half time in the six 10 a.m. ET games in the PL. Here’s what’s going on…
Dec 20, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
Huge relegation six-pointer at Loftus Road. Watch it live, here.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Abel Hernandez and Nikica Jelavic will form the Tigers strike force.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:47 AM EST
Can the Clarets upset Spurs at White Hart Lane? Watch live.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:42 AM EST
Can the Saints stop their slide against the Toffees? Watch live, here.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:41 AM EST
Andy Carroll starts up top with Diafra Sakho, with Stewart Downing in support.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:36 AM EST
Citizens go level on points with Chelsea at the top of the PL.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
United looks to keep back with their noisy neighbors this morning on NBCSN.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:08 AM EST
The NBC team discuss when Lamps may head stateside.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:11 AM EST
Sterling, 20, follows the likes of Rooney, Messi and Aguero after being named the best youngster in European soccer.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:20 AM EST
Can the Citizens make it six wins on the spin without a striker? Watch live, here.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 AM EST
How and where to watch every single PL game from Week 17 live online or via the app.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
Harry Redknapp believes he could be Ravel Morrison’s “last chance” to prove he is ready to play top-flight football.
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0
- Southampton 3-0 Everton: Saints hammer Toffees to end slide 0
- Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United: Falcao header equals Benteke’s stunner, 10-man Villans hang on for point 1
- Manchester City 3-0 Crystal Palace: Citizens level with Chelsea, play without a striker 0
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0