Jan 23, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
CONCACAF has announced the venues for this summer’s Gold Cup, with five returning venues joined by eight new locations for the 2013 tournament:
“With a mix of historic venues and brand new state of the art soccer facilities that average 57,000 spectators, the 2013 edition of the Gold Cup promises to provide fans both in stadium and at home with unforgettable atmospheres in world class venues.”
Well, as long as they’re promising.
Five Major League Soccer venues will host games, with most of the other facilities the type of big capacity, gridiron-friendly stadiums we usually see sprinkled throughout this tournament.
Here’s the full list:
• Atlanta – Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA)
• Baltimore – M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, MD)
• Chicago – Soldier Field (Chicago, IL)
• Dallas – Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, TX)
• Denver – Sports Authority Field at Mile High (Denver, CO)
• Hartford – Rentschler Field (East Hartford, CT)
• Houston – BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston, TX)
• Los Angeles – Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA)
• Miami – Sun Life Stadium (Miami Gardens, FL)
• New York- Red Bull Arena (Harrison, NJ)
• Portland – JELD-WEN Field (Portland, OR)
• Salt Lake City – Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, UT)
• Seattle – CenturyLink Field (Seattle, WA)
Atlanta, Baltimore, Denver, Hartford, Portland and Salt Lake City are first time Gold Cup hosts, and although the tournament’s been in Houston before, this is the first time BBVA Compass Stadium will host the event.
Venues who had games in 2011 who are not on this list: Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte), FIU Stadium (Miami), Ford Field (Detroit), Home Depot Center (Carson, Calif.), Livestrong Park (Kansas City), New Meadowlands Stadium (East Rutherford), Raymond James Stadium (Tampa), Reliant Stadium (Houston), RFK Stadium (Washington D.C.).
With the tournament field not yet set, no specific dates and matchups have been set. In all likelihood, we’ll see the Rose Bowl get the final. Expect Cowboy Stadium to get strong consideration for the semifinals (Reliant Stadium hosted them in 2011), and if the competition replicates the east-to-west nature of 2011′s knockout round, Sun Life Stadium, the Georgia Dome, and M&T Bank Stadium would be among the likely quarterfinal spots.
Eleven nations have qualified for the 12-team tournament: Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Martinique, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States. Guatemala and Panama meet Friday to determine the tournament’s final entrant.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Four weeks ago, Benny Feilhaber wasn’t starting for Kansas City. Now, the former U.S. international’s experiencing a postseason revival.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
Nine matches. 32 goals. All in one place.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Olave, Johnson, and Espindola left, but despite what this year’s narrative said, RSL didn’t rebuild. They merely reloaded.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
What do you remember about the team’s penalty kick win over the LA Galaxy?
Dec 4, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
Peter Vermes’ MLS Cup finalist can still press and pressure – but there are more winning ways in the playbook now:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Back at RFK at the turn of the new Millennium, staunch defense helped KC to its one and only MLS Cup:
Dec 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
Arsenal stays four clear while Everton sparks debate as to whether they upgraded after David Moyes’ departure.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Moyes says lack of “fortune” hurt United after Red Devils lose yet another home game:
Dec 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
The visitors hit Southampton with quick breaks, coming away with a win and proving that possession is, in fact, just nine-tenths of the law.
West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Two from Yaya Touré and an opener from Kun Agüero helped City address their road demons.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Spurs sent a dagger into the hearts of Fulham fans, who saw their club put in an inspired performance only to be sunk by a pair of beautiful strikes from unlikely heroes.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Hazard’s masterclass pushes Chelsea over the line against spirited Black Cats:
Dec 4, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
Four goals and an assist for Luis Suárez as Liverpool ran wild over Norwich.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Gunners keep firing as they stay top of the tree with comfortable win over Tigers:
Dec 4, 2013, 4:50 PM EST
Peter Crouch and company failed to produce a breakthrough despite owning nearly every chance and plenty of possession.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
With five minutes left to play, Bryan Oviedo clinched the winner for Everton, keeping them above Manchester United in the table.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Second win in three sees Swansea bring Newcastle’s run to an end in Wales.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
35 minutes was all it took for Luis Suárez to score his third hat trick in three seasons against Norwich.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
USMNT striker opens the scoring… but Chelsea come roaring back. Watch live:
Dec 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Third place City hope to cure the road woes when they visit The Hawthorns.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)