Jan 23, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
Eden Hazard may be a two-time French league player of the year, but after this incident Wednesday night in Wales, the 22-year-old Belgian attacker will always be known as the guy who kicked a kid in the stomach to try and get a ball.
I don’t know what that ball boy was doing, but short of trying to get a weapon from under his coat ahead of an assault of Hazard, there’s no justification for what he got: A kick in the ribs from a professional soccer player. Thankfully, he seems fine.
At the time, Chelsea was just over 10 minutes away from being eliminated from the League Cup, Swansea holding the 2-0 lead they earned at Stamford Bridge. So you can see how Hazard would be upset … if he were a petulant 12-year-old that had never received any guidance from an adult.
What if the Swans ballboy was trying to waste time? That’s something you will hear a lot about, especially given the tweet (right) the ball boy sent out before the game. So we’re dealing with two idiots instead of one, but Hazard’s actions are still those of somebody who doesn’t gasp the limited significance of a single soccer game. And as we saw on Wednesday, that’s dangerous.
One guy’s a moron. The other assaulted a ball boy. These are two entirely different discussions.
Hazard was red carded, leaving his team to play out the tie’s last moments with little chance of coming back. After seeing what their teammate did, Blues’ players could be forgiven for wanting to get out of Wales as soon as possible.
Now Swansea are on their way to Wembley to meet fourth-tier Bradford City in the League Cup final, but for the next couple of days, all anybody will want to talk about is one young man who lost his head. Expect Hazard to be suspended for a long time.
EDIT: Excuse me for linking directly to my Twitter account, but you’ll find the language of @ChelseaFC’s original tweet …
Pathetic. RT @chelseafc Hazard sent off for kicking the ball under ball boy trying to smother the ball rather than return it
— Richard Farley (@richardfarley) January 23, 2013
… that has since been deleted. An accompanying apology:
Apologiesfor earlier ballboy tweet. Hazard has now met with the ballboy and has saidsorry. #CFC
— Chelsea FC (@chelseafc) January 23, 2013
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 1
- Abby Wambach’s 2011 goal against Brazil voted best moment in U.S. Soccer history 2
- Young’s blast, Evra’s insurance see Manchester United into League Cup semifinals 0
- Late Jarvis, Maiga goals see West Ham past Tottenham, into League Cup semifinals 2
- Welcome to the Midlands: A trip to the heartland of English soccer 2
- Tottenham is using blood spinning treatment on its players, and nobody seems to know if it’s doping (12)
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland (7)
- Intel’s giving Barcelona $25 million for a kit sponsorship you may never see (7)
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit