Jan 24, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
The big offseason in Major League Soccer rolls on as Real Salt Lake owner Dave Checketts sells his share to minority owner Dell Loy Hansen. Checketts, the man most responsible for bringing soccer to Salt Lake City, is moving back to New York City to run a fancy company founded by the New York Yankees, the Dallas Cowboys, and Goldman Sachs. (The man knows a winner when he sees one.)
Hansen is buying the 51 percent of SCP Worldwide’s Utah sports properties he doesn’t own, which include RSL, Rio Tinto Stadium, and ESPN 700. He purchased 49 percent in November 2009, immediately before RSL won MLS Cup. Good timing, brah.
Hey-o, club statement time. Quoth Hansen:
“Just over three years ago, I was very proud to join Dave Checketts in the world of Real Salt Lake and Major League Soccer. Today, the chance to further deepen my participation in the growth of professional soccer in North America is incredibly exciting. My enthusiasm for this sport started long ago with my family, and now I am proud that our investment now includes the entire Real Salt Lake family – starting with our incredible fan base – as we work together representing the great State of Utah.”
Under Checketts’ stewardship, RSl became one of the classiest, most successful teams in the league. He will be missed. Hansen has his work cut out for him, but the native Utah man should be alright.
In other RSL news, Nick Rimando shows up in an issue of ESPN the Magazine.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games