Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Shalrie Joseph is 34. He’s no longer the hustling, bustling midfield enforcement arm that we knew from all those years in New England, where he commanded the center of the park as well as anyone in Major League Soccer.
But the man’s not canned Spam, either!
Joseph could still add some value to a club, perhaps in a slightly different role, and perhaps even at a slightly reduced salary hit.
Frankly, a lot of teams could use the bite he brings to match day and the added edge he can provide in daily training sessions.
There may be a club that takes advantage of whatever rocket fuel Joseph still has left in the tank, but we know this today: it will not be Chivas USA, where the four-time MLS Best XI is currently employed – although tenuously so.
That’s what new manager José Luis “Chelís” Sánchez Solá told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday:
Management knows he’s not in my plans. Hopefully he’ll be able to play with another team.”
Chelis revealed that Joseph is not in training camp, and it doesn’t sound like he will be reporting anytime soon.
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 1
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona