Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
Shalrie Joseph is 34. He’s no longer the hustling, bustling midfield enforcement arm that we knew from all those years in New England, where he commanded the center of the park as well as anyone in Major League Soccer.
But the man’s not canned Spam, either!
Joseph could still add some value to a club, perhaps in a slightly different role, and perhaps even at a slightly reduced salary hit.
Frankly, a lot of teams could use the bite he brings to match day and the added edge he can provide in daily training sessions.
There may be a club that takes advantage of whatever rocket fuel Joseph still has left in the tank, but we know this today: it will not be Chivas USA, where the four-time MLS Best XI is currently employed – although tenuously so.
That’s what new manager José Luis “Chelís” Sánchez Solá told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday:
Management knows he’s not in my plans. Hopefully he’ll be able to play with another team.”
Chelis revealed that Joseph is not in training camp, and it doesn’t sound like he will be reporting anytime soon.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 2
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"