Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
Shalrie Joseph is 34. He’s no longer the hustling, bustling midfield enforcement arm that we knew from all those years in New England, where he commanded the center of the park as well as anyone in Major League Soccer.
But the man’s not canned Spam, either!
Joseph could still add some value to a club, perhaps in a slightly different role, and perhaps even at a slightly reduced salary hit.
Frankly, a lot of teams could use the bite he brings to match day and the added edge he can provide in daily training sessions.
There may be a club that takes advantage of whatever rocket fuel Joseph still has left in the tank, but we know this today: it will not be Chivas USA, where the four-time MLS Best XI is currently employed – although tenuously so.
That’s what new manager José Luis “Chelís” Sánchez Solá told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday:
Management knows he’s not in my plans. Hopefully he’ll be able to play with another team.”
Chelis revealed that Joseph is not in training camp, and it doesn’t sound like he will be reporting anytime soon.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5