Shalrie Joseph apparently finished at Chivas USA

Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT

Kalif Alhassan, Shalrie Joseph

Shalrie Joseph is 34.  He’s no longer the hustling, bustling midfield enforcement arm that we knew from all those years in New England, where he commanded the center of the park as well as anyone in Major League Soccer.

But the man’s not canned Spam, either!

Joseph could still add some value to a club, perhaps in a slightly different role, and perhaps even at a slightly reduced salary hit.

Frankly, a lot of teams could use the bite he brings to match day and the added edge he can provide in daily training sessions.

There may be a club that takes advantage of whatever rocket fuel Joseph still has left in the tank, but we know this today: it will not be Chivas USA, where the four-time MLS Best XI is currently employed – although tenuously so.

That’s what new manager José Luis “Chelís” Sánchez Solá told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday:

Management knows he’s not in my plans. Hopefully he’ll be able to play with another team.”

Chelis revealed that Joseph is not in training camp, and it doesn’t sound like he will be reporting anytime soon.

1. wesbadia - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I’ve gotta ask: which teams, exactly, would be looking for a holding midfielder with attacking prowess that has room on the roster to fit one of Joseph’s cost? The only team I can think of is FCD, which may need a better alternative to Luccin for that role. Possibly Columbus? But it doesn’t make a good fit with Warzycha to me. Outside of those two, who?

2. crnelson10 - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Sporting KC, maybe? He wouldn’t be attacking much, but Benny Feilhaber isn’t really a replacement for Espinoza.

• wesbadia - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Firstly, they have Nagamura as well. And I do believe that Josh Gardner has played holding mid.

Secondly, if Feilhaber isn’t a replacement for Espinoza, I don’t really think Joseph is. There’s a six year difference between Benny and Shalrie, and an eight year difference between Espinoza and Shalrie. Joseph may add more to the attack than Benny, but in terms of long-term (and even immediate), I can’t see how Joseph would supplant Benny in that role. Remember that both played together in NE before Joseph was traded, and Benny was getting minutes regularly over Joseph for a long time.

• Steve Davis - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hmmmm. I could join in here. Or … looks like a good post in the making. Stay tuned …
        (And by “stay tuned,” I really mean “Keep doing my work for me with thoughtful comments like those above … because you guys are doing splendidly here!”)

• wesbadia - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I’ll write your articles for you, Steve ;-)

• dreadpirate82 - Jan 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I think Shalrie would fit perfectly where Julio Cesar played last year. While he’s slowed down somewhat, Cesar’s effectiveness wasn’t because of his energy and/or speed. That dude is about as steady as it gets. Shalrie could add another dimension in the role of fulcrum between the front and back lines.

I don’t know that this would work for a couple of reasons: 1) Ge’d have to take a pretty serious wage cut, 2) They seem pretty high on Uri Rosell to fill that role. He looked so calm when given a shot in some big situations last year.

That being said, if Norwich City poaches Kei Kamara, that frees up some cash and potentially moves Zusi upfield, with Rosell playing a different role. Shalrie always seemed like a Vermes type of player. Baseless speculation is my favorite…

3. mmancini99 - Jan 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I saw him live in one of his last games at Gillette last season, and it was painful to watch how far he had fallen. Still physically dominating, but not mobile at all anymore. I think he’d make a great center back if paired with a quicker, technical type.

He’ll go somewhere, for reasonable money, and make an impact. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruce Arena signed him for cover.

4. corgster - Jan 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM

FIRESALE on aisle CUSA!

Non-Hispanics can be had for a used tissues or “acceptable” quality toothpaste.

PST Extra: Race for the PL title