Jan 24, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
USSoccer.com has launched a series they call “Opportunity Knocks,” and who better to start with than Omar Gonzalez?
If opportunity is “knocking” for some during the January national team camp, that sucker is banging on door for Gonzalez. He has every physical tool needed to raise his game to international level, which is exactly what manager Jurgen Klinsmann is hoping for during the three weeks and change prior to next week’s friendly in Houston.
We all know the U.S. center back scene remains one in transition, with Carlos Bocanegra in the winter of his career and Oguchi Onyewu unable to gain any traction in efforts to regain a spot atop the heap. That leaves Geoff Cameron and … well, a lot of guys hoping to be this year’s Geoff Cameron, straining to establish his international chops the way Stoke City’s defender did in 2012.
In this video, Gonzalez actually stretches the vision of his personal opportunity factor, correctly recognizing and appreciating his place in the bigger picture (by understanding that extensive rehab support isn’t available free of charge to most individuals).
He also addresses past frustrations with the national team. Remember, not so long ago the big Galaxy man was hinting about wandering down another path, about the possibility of playing for Mexico rather than for the United States.
Here is the video:
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?