Jan 24, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
USSoccer.com has launched a series they call “Opportunity Knocks,” and who better to start with than Omar Gonzalez?
If opportunity is “knocking” for some during the January national team camp, that sucker is banging on door for Gonzalez. He has every physical tool needed to raise his game to international level, which is exactly what manager Jurgen Klinsmann is hoping for during the three weeks and change prior to next week’s friendly in Houston.
We all know the U.S. center back scene remains one in transition, with Carlos Bocanegra in the winter of his career and Oguchi Onyewu unable to gain any traction in efforts to regain a spot atop the heap. That leaves Geoff Cameron and … well, a lot of guys hoping to be this year’s Geoff Cameron, straining to establish his international chops the way Stoke City’s defender did in 2012.
In this video, Gonzalez actually stretches the vision of his personal opportunity factor, correctly recognizing and appreciating his place in the bigger picture (by understanding that extensive rehab support isn’t available free of charge to most individuals).
He also addresses past frustrations with the national team. Remember, not so long ago the big Galaxy man was hinting about wandering down another path, about the possibility of playing for Mexico rather than for the United States.
Here is the video:
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 0
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United