Jan 25, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
The New York Post reports today that Mike Petke wasn’t as much the first choice of Red Bulls management (some members, at any rate) as perhaps they wanted us to believe.
The Post story says Paulo Sousa (pictured) had been offered the job but failed in his efforts to gain a work permit. I had heard the same and said so on Twitter while the club was perhaps still working through the process.
About this time last year, the Red Bulls were dealing with a Luke Rogers work permit impasse. Uh, somebody is checking on these doggone things before they wander too far down the road, right?
This happens occasionally around MLS, but twice in a year? At the league’s most visible club?
The Post story also reports that Robin Fraser may be en route as an assistant coach. Fraser is as highly respected as they come around MLS, and no one was celebrating when he got caught in the Chivas USA blender and ousted after two frustrating seasons there.
Fraser will land back in MLS somewhere, and probably soon, whether it’s at Red Bull Arena or elsewhere.
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents