Jan 25, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Mighty Manchester United scored one of the big wins of the winter transfer window when the long-rumored switch became official, seeing Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha move to north to Old Trafford.
Important to note here is that Zaha, the 20-year-old winger who already has one full international cap for England, will remain at Crystal Palace through the spring season; signed to a pre-contract, Zaha (pictured at right) will begin playing for United this summer.
That’s important for Palace, which currently sits fourth in the npower Championship, England’s second tier. The top two spots gain automatic promotion into the (financially lucrative) Premier League. The next four spots move into a playoff for one additional promotion spot.
The final sale price is about $23 million. That’s a big payday for Palace, money the South London club can deploy to help the once-prominent club retake some of its lost ground.
As for Zaha, a zippy winger, he’ll have a lot of competition at United and must keep improving his game in order to collect playing time. On the other hand, United is a place where young players have reliably been provided a chance. Sir Alex Ferguson will, in fact, play his young talent or extend loan deals to get them playing time, as United did with Danny Welbeck.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 5
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris