Jan 25, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
(Through the week we’ll look at three Major League Soccer clubs per day, considering what they need to accomplish and what questions deserve answers during preseason training camps. Opening day in MLS is March 2.)
How many MLS sides would relish a list of preseason questions to answer as short as San Jose’s?
No, the Earthquakes didn’t quite get where they wanted to be in 2012. But some of that was about running into the league’s hottest team, the eventual champs.
Otherwise, you could argue that Frank Yallop’s men did just about everything right in a record-breaking – let’s scratch that and call it a “record-shattering” – season.
The Supporters Shield winners migrated into preseason camp earlier this week with most of last year’s Supporters Shield winning side intact. They have a to-do list, just like every club; theirs just doesn’t take as long to go over.
Some top questions to begin answering as the team sets up this week in Arizona:
- Will Simon Dawkins return?
His time at Buck Shaw Stadium has been courtesy of loan agreements with Tottenham Hotspur, where he remains under contract and, depending on whom you ask, may or may not be considered fairly valuable property.
Dawkins’ availability in 2013 doesn’t drastically alter the team one way or the other, but he does provide some valuable depth in a season that promises to be busier than last year’s around the Bay, mostly due to CONCACAF Champions League involvement.
Club officials certainly want him back; he’s a fantastic finisher out of the midfield and his pace helps add balance to an attack well equipped with ample bulk closer to goal.
- What does the striker situation look like behind Chris Wondolowski?
I’m sure Yallop will tell us that no starting spot has been awarded, that they must be earned. And I know that, Yallop being an honest man, he’ll mean it.
On the other hand, a returning 27-goal scorer who reliably works his socks off in practice is most likely going to start. So let’s look at the stack-up of striking talent behind Chris Wondolowski. There’s a lot to consider.
Alan Gordon and Steven Lenhart are back to provide all the hustle, bustle and muscle they did in 2012. Marcus Tracy once had some “next big thing” wrapped around him. And former Seattle Sounders man Mike Fucito is in camp and ready to pounce should any one of them slip even a wee little bit.
- Will Yallop deliver a slightly different preseason message?
Show me someone who says he saw the Earthquakes fabulous 2012 campaign coming, I’ll show you a liar. Or someone I want sitting next to me on my next trip to Vegas, at least.
Here’s the thing: it’s a little tougher to be all that when everyone expects it. I’m not saying it can’t happen; I now say that you doubt San Jose at your own peril.
But it may take slightly different approach, and preseason is perfect tone-settin’ time. Even with no adjustment, San Jose will be fine in 2013. But if we’re talking about fractions of improvement to get over the championship hump, perhaps a fresh message would help re-spice the stew.
MORE in ProSoccerTalk’s preseason camp series:
- Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA
- Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew
- D.C. United
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy
- Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union
- Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake
Up Next: Seattle Sounders FC
Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
There’re no shortage of players to praise after the U.S. completes a nine-out-of-nine run.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Most U.S. players were still in the locker room an hour after final whistle Tuesday … watching a basketball game. Hmmm.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Even while struggling, LA’s still the standard, but can they turn things around enough to keep Portland from the top of the West.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
Neymar’s show compounded problems for CONCACAF’s champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
The 42-year-old American revealed he is taking coaching courses to prepare for whenever his career is over.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Some of those old issues of communication and understanding between Jones and Michael Bradley were on display once again in Utah:
Jun 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Montréal can open a gap atop the East with a win tonight. If Houston springs the upset, they’ll be within one point of the conference leaders.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
He didn’t exactly say much, but Pepe Reina’s club is Liverpool – at least, right now.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Cameras caught a message from Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, could it foreshadow a move?
Jun 19, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
Fabio Capello is the latest manager to say “no” to the defending Ligue 1 champions.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Liverpool take a huge net loss on the 24-year-old while West Ham set their transfer fee record.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Tragedy struck Chivas USA’s youth squad Monday night.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
At the call of fans and media alike, the FA Cup final at Wembley will return to its post-league date.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:35 AM EDT
The United States had the perfect lineup to slowly whittle away at the Honduras defense before it finally broke.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
The 24-year-old American has found a new team after spending 5 seasons at Villa Park.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:08 AM EDT
The Premier League has released its fixture list for the 2013/2014 season in its entirety. Find out the opening fixtures plus your favorite team’s derby here!
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 0
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 1
- MLS Preview: Houston Dynamo at Montréal Impact 0
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 4
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (26)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public