Jan 25, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Today’s news on West London’s naughty boy of the moment is fairly straightforward. But this being the odd duck of a story that it is, there is no shortage of new talking points.
Let’s dive right in:
- Chelsea’s Belgian international already faced a three-game red card ban. Being officially charged by the FA, as he was on Friday afternoon, the governing body citing “insufficient” punishment for the offense, cannot be good news around Stamford Bridge.
- Never mind that it’s (mostly) beside the point, I anticipate a fresh round of “The ball boy deserved it” to unfold in 3 … 2… 1…
- Hazard has until Tuesday at close of business in England to appeal.
- We had two notorious incidents of MLS men being jerks to ball boys in 2012. Now we’ve just broken the seal on a fresh, new year and already a ball boy incident! Seriously, guys, leave the doggone ball boys alone!
- In fact, what say every club, everywhere, put up signs around the training ground: “Step away from the ball boys! Immediately. No one has to get hurt here!”
- To review the above-mentioned episodes of “What where they thinking?,” please click here for Marc Burch, or here for Colin Clark.
- As some of you have already pointed out, for a nice, balanced look at this whole silly bit of the slightly surreal, laced with the appropriate sense of whimsy, may we suggest Daniel Taylor’s bit from the Guardian. It has a Basil Fawlty reference. If ever a story deserved a Fawlty Towers* reference, by gosh, this one is it.
*Best show on TV. Ever.
Aug 31, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Not the expected sight: Jermaine Jones as the USMNT midfielder walking off the field with three points, not TFC’s Michael Bradley.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Red Devils’ boss was happy with the opportunities his team generated at Turf Moor.
Aug 30, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
A late goal from Robert Earnshaw snaps FCD’s unbeaten run.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:52 PM EDT
Igancio Piatti’s first two goals give the Impact their second win in three games.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
Three superb games are coming your way on Sunday. Here’s a look at what to expect from all three.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Defense was Pellegrini’s biggest concern after Saturday’s 1-0 loss.
Aug 30, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
New England’s locker room was abuzz after the team thumped Toronto FC 3-0 in its own house… even before new boy Jermaine Jones subbed on.
Aug 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
HSV is close to landing the 19-year-old on a year-long loan.
Aug 30, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
NBC Sports was on hand for a memorable day in Liverpool, when Chelsea were pressed to preserve the team’s early lead.
Aug 30, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
A disappointing performance from the Reds saw the Revolution back into the East’s top five.
Aug 30, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Twenty-four goals across the day’s seven games made for a highlight-filled open to the Premier League’s weekend.
Aug 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Clint Dempsey’s second half goal pushed Seattle five clear at the top of the standings.
Aug 30, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Second half goal from Benedikt Höwedes gave Schalke a point at home.
Aug 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The young Swans manager is hoping to get “to the 40-point barrier as fast as possible” after the hot start.
Aug 30, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Both managers react to a crazy second half at Goodison Park.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
All the action from a sensational Saturday of Premier League action.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Real Madrid could be the deepest attacking side in the world right now, and they just may get deeper.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
One of the greatest games in Premier League history played out at Goodison. Relive it, here.
Aug 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Tijuana midfielder absolutely smoked a goal home against Leones Negros on Friday night.
Aug 30, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Hammers boss laments poor decision but must look at his own teams shortcomings after poor display.
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Tottenham host Liverpool, Arsenal face Leicester 0
- Revolution feeling a Jermaine Jones boost after unloading on Toronto 0
- Reports: Julian Green to be loaned from Bayern Munich to Hamburg 0
- Xabi Alonso debuts as Bayern Munich held at Schalke 0
- Premier League Saturday Roundup: Chelsea win classic; Stoke stun Man City 0
- Everton 3-6 Chelsea: Blues prevail in sensational nine-goal thriller (video) 1