Jan 25, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Today’s news on West London’s naughty boy of the moment is fairly straightforward. But this being the odd duck of a story that it is, there is no shortage of new talking points.
Let’s dive right in:
- Chelsea’s Belgian international already faced a three-game red card ban. Being officially charged by the FA, as he was on Friday afternoon, the governing body citing “insufficient” punishment for the offense, cannot be good news around Stamford Bridge.
- Never mind that it’s (mostly) beside the point, I anticipate a fresh round of “The ball boy deserved it” to unfold in 3 … 2… 1…
- Hazard has until Tuesday at close of business in England to appeal.
- We had two notorious incidents of MLS men being jerks to ball boys in 2012. Now we’ve just broken the seal on a fresh, new year and already a ball boy incident! Seriously, guys, leave the doggone ball boys alone!
- In fact, what say every club, everywhere, put up signs around the training ground: “Step away from the ball boys! Immediately. No one has to get hurt here!”
- To review the above-mentioned episodes of “What where they thinking?,” please click here for Marc Burch, or here for Colin Clark.
- As some of you have already pointed out, for a nice, balanced look at this whole silly bit of the slightly surreal, laced with the appropriate sense of whimsy, may we suggest Daniel Taylor’s bit from the Guardian. It has a Basil Fawlty reference. If ever a story deserved a Fawlty Towers* reference, by gosh, this one is it.
*Best show on TV. Ever.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Liverpool, Everton and Swansea City are just a few of the Premier League clubs reportedly looking to sign the Marseille winger.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
With transfer rumors swirling, the Arsenal forward made it clear that he is #AlwaysAGunner.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Amidst the Ebola outbreak, South Africa has ruled out hosting the continent’s premier tournament should Morocco back out.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sad news out of India as a young player died after injuring his spinal cord during a celebration.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ahmed Musa stirred the pot ahead of his club’s Champions League clash this week, calling out City’s form.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Watch the Baggies take on Manchester United today, live at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
The Chelsea backup is teaching his replacement how to stay safe from head injuries, which have affected both keepers.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look at the PL during Week 8.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:43 AM EDT
In a game that saw both sides reduced to ten men, the Crystal Palace manager believes the referee could have done better.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
The Dutch midfielder scored off two ridiculous strikes to lead Galatasary over rivals Fenerbahce.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
The Sounders came from 2-0 down to steal a draw in Los Angeles at Landon Donovan’s final regular season home game.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Werder Bremen became the first team without a shot in a Bundesliga game as Bayern continues to cruise.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
The Argentinian forward is scoring goals at a blistering pace for Manchester City. Could he be the most lethal striker in Europe?
Oct 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Catch up on all of this weekend’s action from Spain and Italy’s top flights.
- Report: Croatia friendly a no-go, but USMNT still likely to play that date 0
- West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 0
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0
- Michael Bradley to Jurgen Klinsmann: ‘I have thick skin’ 0