Jan 25, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Today’s news on West London’s naughty boy of the moment is fairly straightforward. But this being the odd duck of a story that it is, there is no shortage of new talking points.
Let’s dive right in:
- Chelsea’s Belgian international already faced a three-game red card ban. Being officially charged by the FA, as he was on Friday afternoon, the governing body citing “insufficient” punishment for the offense, cannot be good news around Stamford Bridge.
- Never mind that it’s (mostly) beside the point, I anticipate a fresh round of “The ball boy deserved it” to unfold in 3 … 2… 1…
- Hazard has until Tuesday at close of business in England to appeal.
- We had two notorious incidents of MLS men being jerks to ball boys in 2012. Now we’ve just broken the seal on a fresh, new year and already a ball boy incident! Seriously, guys, leave the doggone ball boys alone!
- In fact, what say every club, everywhere, put up signs around the training ground: “Step away from the ball boys! Immediately. No one has to get hurt here!”
- To review the above-mentioned episodes of “What where they thinking?,” please click here for Marc Burch, or here for Colin Clark.
- As some of you have already pointed out, for a nice, balanced look at this whole silly bit of the slightly surreal, laced with the appropriate sense of whimsy, may we suggest Daniel Taylor’s bit from the Guardian. It has a Basil Fawlty reference. If ever a story deserved a Fawlty Towers* reference, by gosh, this one is it.
*Best show on TV. Ever.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
Pirlo says an American arrival has been in the cards for a while.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
Your move, NYCFC.com. Surely the MLS side is not pleased by the “leak” of the widely-speculated signing, but we bet it’s pretty jazzed to have Pirlo.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Plenty more flag-waving winners, emotional players, and post-World Cup couple smooches leap off the Women’s World Cup wire. Shall we look at a few?
Jul 6, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
The U.S. women are World Cup champions for the third time thanks to a full team effort that belied its star-first reputation.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:23 AM EDT
CONCACAF lawyer Sam Gandhi’s tone hits all the right conciliatory notes, something that FIFA has been unable to do it in its response under Sepp Blatter.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
Despite the love heaped on Clyne and Ryan Bertrand last season, Alderweireld was perhaps only second to Jose Fonte in the Saints’ defensive performance pecking order.
Jul 6, 2015, 6:24 AM EDT
McIlroy looks highly unlikely to be teeing it up at St. Andrews in 10 days time.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:06 AM EDT
The U.S. women always said they would peak at the right moment, and they did exactly that.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:41 AM EDT
Japan came out shockingly flat in the World Cup final, conceding four goals in 16 minutes.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:54 AM EDT
Carli Lloyd said she wanted to be the best in the world. On Sunday, she proved it.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:19 AM EDT
Final: Portland 1-0 San Jose
Jul 6, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Take a look at the aftermath of the United States’ World Cup win over Japan.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Abby Wambach longed for a World Cup title for over a decade. On Sunday, she finally lifted the trophy.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Former Manchester United midfielder Nani is prepared for a fresh start in Turkey.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
Check out who came away with the WWC awards.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
Carli Lloyd’s hat trick and the United States’ win smashed just about every record in a huge win over Japan in the Women’s World Cup final.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Wow. Just wow.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Watch Lloyd score three times, as U.S. raced into a 4-0 lead inside the first 20 minutes.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
Inter Milan released a statement defending itself as Fiorentina vice president Paolo Panerai criticized his rival in the midst of Mohamed Salah’s transfer situation.
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 2
- It’s all-but-official as Juventus says thanks to Pirlo, wishes him best with New York City 0
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 0
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 0
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 0