Jan 25, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Today’s news on West London’s naughty boy of the moment is fairly straightforward. But this being the odd duck of a story that it is, there is no shortage of new talking points.
Let’s dive right in:
- Chelsea’s Belgian international already faced a three-game red card ban. Being officially charged by the FA, as he was on Friday afternoon, the governing body citing “insufficient” punishment for the offense, cannot be good news around Stamford Bridge.
- Never mind that it’s (mostly) beside the point, I anticipate a fresh round of “The ball boy deserved it” to unfold in 3 … 2… 1…
- Hazard has until Tuesday at close of business in England to appeal.
- We had two notorious incidents of MLS men being jerks to ball boys in 2012. Now we’ve just broken the seal on a fresh, new year and already a ball boy incident! Seriously, guys, leave the doggone ball boys alone!
- In fact, what say every club, everywhere, put up signs around the training ground: “Step away from the ball boys! Immediately. No one has to get hurt here!”
- To review the above-mentioned episodes of “What where they thinking?,” please click here for Marc Burch, or here for Colin Clark.
- As some of you have already pointed out, for a nice, balanced look at this whole silly bit of the slightly surreal, laced with the appropriate sense of whimsy, may we suggest Daniel Taylor’s bit from the Guardian. It has a Basil Fawlty reference. If ever a story deserved a Fawlty Towers* reference, by gosh, this one is it.
*Best show on TV. Ever.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
“Today two powers were brought together, the hand of God and that of the Pope,” Maradona joked. No, really. That’s what he said.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
How do you think United will line up?
Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
From a 18-year-old Jamaican-English midfielder to a 34-year-old veteran goalkeeper, this team takes a ride through all types of players.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
In the end, the player had to come from the nine-goal thriller at Goodison Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe bring you plenty of analysis on the summer transfer window’s Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Passing or failing? Take a gander at how each Premier League team fared.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Falcao signs for United, arrives on loan from Monaco with view to a permanent transfer.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Manchester United’s Danny Welbeck went away to London for international break, and won’t return to the club after sealing a move to Arsenal.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Nantes, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa are all surprising early-season teams, and Americans are playing big roles in each club’s success.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The biggest confirmed transfers on Deadline Day including Premier League teams.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
If Andre Villas-Boas thought Emmanuel Adebayor was hard to handle, wait til he gets a load of this American character.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Alderweireld arrives on loan, as Mane deal agreed.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Negredo leaves City, heads back to Spain to play for Valencia.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Watch live online, right here.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Hull busy on Deadline Day as Ramirez joins on loan, plus Ben Arfa.
Sep 1, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
In the words of NHL commentator Rick Jeanneret, roll the highlight reel for Ibra, Cavani and PSG, and the lowlight reel for one poor keeper.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Not a huge risk for Arsenal, but certainly a good bit of business for United. Could Welbeck become the next Daniel Sturridge?
Sep 1, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Jermain Defoe, Danny Welbeck and Hatem Ben Arfa all make one last run through the rumor mill as the deadline draws near.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
McArthur and Fryers arrive at Selhurst Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The Dutch international rejoins his World Cup boss for four seasons at “the biggest club in the world.”
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0