Jan 25, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
Today’s news on West London’s naughty boy of the moment is fairly straightforward. But this being the odd duck of a story that it is, there is no shortage of new talking points.
Let’s dive right in:
- Chelsea’s Belgian international already faced a three-game red card ban. Being officially charged by the FA, as he was on Friday afternoon, the governing body citing “insufficient” punishment for the offense, cannot be good news around Stamford Bridge.
- Never mind that it’s (mostly) beside the point, I anticipate a fresh round of “The ball boy deserved it” to unfold in 3 … 2… 1…
- Hazard has until Tuesday at close of business in England to appeal.
- We had two notorious incidents of MLS men being jerks to ball boys in 2012. Now we’ve just broken the seal on a fresh, new year and already a ball boy incident! Seriously, guys, leave the doggone ball boys alone!
- In fact, what say every club, everywhere, put up signs around the training ground: “Step away from the ball boys! Immediately. No one has to get hurt here!”
- To review the above-mentioned episodes of “What where they thinking?,” please click here for Marc Burch, or here for Colin Clark.
- As some of you have already pointed out, for a nice, balanced look at this whole silly bit of the slightly surreal, laced with the appropriate sense of whimsy, may we suggest Daniel Taylor’s bit from the Guardian. It has a Basil Fawlty reference. If ever a story deserved a Fawlty Towers* reference, by gosh, this one is it.
*Best show on TV. Ever.
Jul 30, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Julian Green will be playing in the fourth division of German football to begin the 2015-16 season.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The terms and conditions of building a stadium next to Marlins Park couldn’t be any less favorable to the prospective MLS franchise.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
CONCACAF’s refereeing department could be in line for something of an overhaul in the coming months and years.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Back in the Premier League after a season away, can the Canaries stay up and solidify their place among England’s elite?
Jul 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Following Tottenham’s 2-1 loss to the MLS All-Stars, Mauricio Pochettino said he is unsure as to where Yedlin will be playing next season.
Jul 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Zlatan’s contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires next season, but he won’t let anyone know his plans for the future.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Last season was a complete disaster for Newcastle. Can Steve McClaren turn things around for the Magpies?
Jul 30, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Liverpool could lose two strikers, while Mario Gomez is on his way to Besiktas.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:06 AM EDT
The South Korean billionaire is looking to become the new president of FIFA, and he had some choice words for his rivals.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Heading into Louis van Gaal’s second season at Old Trafford, trophies are on the minds of everyone in Manchester.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
The defender had been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United, but it looks like he’ll be staying at Madrid.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Kaka and David Villa scored for the All Stars, which built on last year’s 2-1 win against Bayern Munich.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Halftime substitutions including Andreas Pereira gave some life to United, but the Red Devils still couldn’t find the back of the net.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The 86th minute tally came moments after FCKC had drawn level at 2-2.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Could this be on account of overseas interest, or is he just ready to go closer to home?
Jul 29, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
The Azerbaijani champions nearly walked out of Celtic Park with a deadlock, but Boyata’s second goal in as many games did the trick.
Jul 29, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Rog and Davo pod from Chelsea vs. Barcelona at FedExField in Landover, Maryland. Chelsea captain John Terry guests.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
It might be old hat for Drogba, but it’s pretty nutty for us.
Jul 29, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
Tranquillo Barnetta is set to join Maurice Edu in the Philadelphia Union’s engine room, as the 30-year-old Bundesliga veteran makes his move on a free transfer.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
How different will City’s lineup look at the end of August? It’s hard to project anything without that knowledge, but we’ll make an attempt.
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1