Jan 25, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
Is it too late for someone to launch a late winter transfer bid for Jozy Altidore, who is absolutely sizzling at Alkmaar?
Altidore made such a splash in the 2011-12 Dutch Eredivisie season by scoring 15 goals through the league campaign. Well here we are in January, with the most of the business end of the 2012-13 Dutch season ahead – and the U.S. international already has 14 goals in league play.
He hit the 14th today as Alkmaar’s walked past VVV Venlo, 4-1.
Never mind the relatively easy day for his club, the finish was not easy. It was a tidy bit of craftsmanship, in fact, as he pulled way from two defenders, opened up his body and calmly placed a ball right on the far-post bullseye.
Altidore has 15 goals across all competitions this year. He seems likely to remain in Holland through the winter window, but expect a lot of Altidore transfer speculation and scuttlebutt starting in June and heading into the July summer window.
Here’s today’s goal:
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2
- Americans Abroad Wrap: US teenagers go distance for Fulham, Utrecht 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Celebrating the Premier League’s return (and a Mickey Rourke encounter) 3