Jan 25, 2013, 6:29 PM EST
Is it too late for someone to launch a late winter transfer bid for Jozy Altidore, who is absolutely sizzling at Alkmaar?
Altidore made such a splash in the 2011-12 Dutch Eredivisie season by scoring 15 goals through the league campaign. Well here we are in January, with the most of the business end of the 2012-13 Dutch season ahead – and the U.S. international already has 14 goals in league play.
He hit the 14th today as Alkmaar’s walked past VVV Venlo, 4-1.
Never mind the relatively easy day for his club, the finish was not easy. It was a tidy bit of craftsmanship, in fact, as he pulled way from two defenders, opened up his body and calmly placed a ball right on the far-post bullseye.
Altidore has 15 goals across all competitions this year. He seems likely to remain in Holland through the winter window, but expect a lot of Altidore transfer speculation and scuttlebutt starting in June and heading into the July summer window.
Here’s today’s goal:
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)