Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Question: When is it too early to begin getting into a frothy lather about a World Cup?
Obvious answer: What, are you kidding? Never!
The numbers crunchers at FIFA remind us this morning that the world is but 500 days away from its next World Cup. It makes me want a really ginormous advent-type calendar to begin plucking, marking the days.
FIFA.com has crunched some other numbers for us to celebrate the 500-days-out milepost. Among the more interesting ones:
64 … the number of years that have elapsed since the last World Cup in soccer-mad Brazil, back in 1950.
31 … Teams that will join host Brazil. (Remember, it wasn’t so long ago that just 24 teams competed at the World Cup finals. The last 24-team field: World Cup USA in 1994.)
19 … The number of World Cup finals in which Brazil has participated, also known as “all of them.” Brazil is the only nation to have done so.
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1