Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Question: When is it too early to begin getting into a frothy lather about a World Cup?
Obvious answer: What, are you kidding? Never!
The numbers crunchers at FIFA remind us this morning that the world is but 500 days away from its next World Cup. It makes me want a really ginormous advent-type calendar to begin plucking, marking the days.
FIFA.com has crunched some other numbers for us to celebrate the 500-days-out milepost. Among the more interesting ones:
64 … the number of years that have elapsed since the last World Cup in soccer-mad Brazil, back in 1950.
31 … Teams that will join host Brazil. (Remember, it wasn’t so long ago that just 24 teams competed at the World Cup finals. The last 24-team field: World Cup USA in 1994.)
19 … The number of World Cup finals in which Brazil has participated, also known as “all of them.” Brazil is the only nation to have done so.
- Manchester City 3-0 Crystal Palace: Citizens level with Chelsea, play without a striker 0
- Watch Live: Aston Villa vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 2
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2