Jan 27, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
Whatever we hoped to learn from Tuesday’s match in Houston, where the United States caps its January camp with a friendly against Canada, perhaps we should temper it even more than usual.
Friendlies are tricky exercises anyway. Minus any meaningful pressure, they are highly imperfect as an instrument of analysis. Leave a favorable impression in a match with nothing on the line, well, that’s great. But it doesn’t mean you can do in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, or even in Denver against a Costa Rican team desperate for a point on American soil.
So, any individual or team analysis in a friendly needs to run through that filter. And now we have this …
The team Canada brings … uh, it’s not so good.
Last night, a young bunch of Canadians fell hard to Denmark in Phoenix, 4-0. That was not Denmark’s best, by the way; most of its stars weren’t brought in for this one.
So if Eddie Johnson goes off for two or three, or if Graham Zusi or Benny Feilhaber command the midfield, or if Omar Gonzalez looks utterly unbeatable along the back line or whatever … let’s remember the real deal here.
It’s a friendly. It’s against a young team in transition.
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents