Jan 27, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
Whatever we hoped to learn from Tuesday’s match in Houston, where the United States caps its January camp with a friendly against Canada, perhaps we should temper it even more than usual.
Friendlies are tricky exercises anyway. Minus any meaningful pressure, they are highly imperfect as an instrument of analysis. Leave a favorable impression in a match with nothing on the line, well, that’s great. But it doesn’t mean you can do in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, or even in Denver against a Costa Rican team desperate for a point on American soil.
So, any individual or team analysis in a friendly needs to run through that filter. And now we have this …
The team Canada brings … uh, it’s not so good.
Last night, a young bunch of Canadians fell hard to Denmark in Phoenix, 4-0. That was not Denmark’s best, by the way; most of its stars weren’t brought in for this one.
So if Eddie Johnson goes off for two or three, or if Graham Zusi or Benny Feilhaber command the midfield, or if Omar Gonzalez looks utterly unbeatable along the back line or whatever … let’s remember the real deal here.
It’s a friendly. It’s against a young team in transition.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team