Jan 27, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
In Lionel Messi’s world, the milepost 200th league goal probably barely rates enough status to take the game ball and glue it onto a piece of wood or something.
This is a man, as we know, who already has four World Player of the Year awards, more trophies in Spain and in Europe than he count without thinking about it really super hard, and a man who just established the best year of scoring in professional soccer the world has ever seen.
But it’s still a noteworthy achievement, this 200th league goal in Spain.
Messi rounded the 200 corner today with four goals in a 5-1 result over Osasuna at the Nou Camp. He also became the first player to score in 11 consecutive La Liga matches.
The man’s La Liga leadership, at 33 goals, is on pace to match last year’s fabulous total of 50.
The other 200-goal scorers in La Liga history are:
- Telmo Zarra … 251
- Hugo Sanchez … 234
- Raul Gonzalez … 228
- Alfredo di Stefano … 227
- Cesar Rodriguez … 223
- Quini … 219
- Pahino … 210
- Mike Magee’s arrival can only help in Chicago 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy