Jan 27, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
One of the choice elements of the Red Bulls’ choice of managers last week is Mike Petke’s layered history with the organization.
Truly, few understand the unique history and has a better chance to corral and manage some of the historical politics of managing the pro team in Major League Soccer’s most visible media market.
Petke has been part of the organization longer than almost anyone. Sandwiched around two stops as a player in Colorado and D.C. United, Petke made 169 appearances for the club. He was an assistant at two different times for New York and then, lately, the interim coach.
That was the point writer Michael Lewis, himself a veteran of New York’s soccer scene, was making in this recent Big Apple Soccer piece, about the New York accent and the matching New York attitude, about how the newest Red Bulls manager “epitomized what a New Yorker should be and what a soccer player from this area should be all about.”
He also remembered a great story about how Petke wore those MetroStars/Red Bulls emotions on his sleeve. It was about an ugly incident in 2000, when Tampa Bay striker Mamadou Diallo collided with MetroStars goalkeeper Mike Ammann. Diallo then stepped on Ammann’s ribs, puncturing his lung and effectively ending his career.
Lewis relates what happened next:
He celebrated a goal and revealed a white shirt under his MetroStars uniform that said, ‘Crime of the Century’ on the front and ‘Revenge is Coming’ on the back. That referred to an incident that occurred four days prior when Tampa Bay Mutiny striker Mamadou Diallo rammed into and sent goalkeeper Mike Ammann to the hospital with broken ribs. The MetroStars and fans were upset that not even a foul was called on Diallo.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014