Jan 28, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
As we approach Black History Month in February, it’s worth mentioning that Major League Soccer just lost its only black manager.
Highly respected Robin Fraser (pictured), recently dismissed from Chivas USA, held the distinction previously of being the only black head coach in MLS. (There are only two Latino managers in MLS, which seems even more surprising considering the player makeup, but that’s another topic.)
Related, this is an interesting piece from Goal.com on the challenges of being a black manager in England. Alex Labidou talked to Norwhich’s Chris Hughton about the lack of management diversity in England’s game. You’ll notice a lot of parallels from the NFL and how it struggles with diversity. Same deal: lots of black players, not nearly the same percentage of black coaches.
But what might stand out even more about Hughton’s progress is that he is currently the Premier League’s only black manager, and one of only four black head coaches – along with Charlton’s Chris Powell, Notts County’s Keith Curle and Barnet’s Edgar Davids – in England’s top-four divisions (that’s out of 92 possible positions). Considering that over 30 percent of players in England’s top four divisions are minorities, the fact that just over four percent of their coaches are not white is a growing concern for the country.
- Aron Johannsson scores yet again! Can he match Jozy Altidore’s record for U.S. goal scorers abroad? 1
- Premier League Roundup: Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Newcastle keep winning 0
- Manchester United 3-1 West Ham: Rampant Red Devils ease to three points (video) 0
- Fulham 2-4 Manchester City: Visitors proving they can win on the road (video) 1
- Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: Yet another side undone by Luis Suárez (video) 0
- WATCH: Suarez scores two stunners for Liverpool to celebrate new deal (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- U.S. soccer extends lengthy partnership with Nike, what kits do we want to see? (8)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy