Jan 28, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
As we approach Black History Month in February, it’s worth mentioning that Major League Soccer just lost its only black manager.
Highly respected Robin Fraser (pictured), recently dismissed from Chivas USA, held the distinction previously of being the only black head coach in MLS. (There are only two Latino managers in MLS, which seems even more surprising considering the player makeup, but that’s another topic.)
Related, this is an interesting piece from Goal.com on the challenges of being a black manager in England. Alex Labidou talked to Norwhich’s Chris Hughton about the lack of management diversity in England’s game. You’ll notice a lot of parallels from the NFL and how it struggles with diversity. Same deal: lots of black players, not nearly the same percentage of black coaches.
But what might stand out even more about Hughton’s progress is that he is currently the Premier League’s only black manager, and one of only four black head coaches – along with Charlton’s Chris Powell, Notts County’s Keith Curle and Barnet’s Edgar Davids – in England’s top-four divisions (that’s out of 92 possible positions). Considering that over 30 percent of players in England’s top four divisions are minorities, the fact that just over four percent of their coaches are not white is a growing concern for the country.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public